Sad day for Model Flyers

Model Aeronautics Association of Canada
Lexflyer2022

Re: Sad day for Model Flyers

Unread post by Lexflyer2022 » Thu Mar 30, 2023 4:15 pm

DoverSail wrote:
Thu Mar 30, 2023 7:15 am
Awful to hear about Shearwater club. We are all in dire straits now, it seems. Transport Canada has taken a molehill and turned it into a mountain, shame on them. I guess it’s time to get back into golf.
Oh yes, you had better keep an eye out for people wanting your balls to be registered.

retiredVTT

Re: Sad day for Model Flyers

Unread post by retiredVTT » Sun Feb 18, 2024 3:17 pm

On this cool February 18/24, about a year after TC and MAAC lowered the boom on all us "drone" flyers, I sit in front of my PC thinking more about the green grass of a flying site, and what the future flying season will be like. I had put my flying routine on hold since June 2022 when I had a health situation that demanded immediate surgery, and my attention was immediately diverted to "putting my things in order".

So several months later, during my recovery I decided to take the Basic TC "test, with absolutely no preparation, since I had been in the hobby for nearly 50 years ...you know, how hard could it be..! Well, what a disaster that was, ...result was well below the passing mark of 65! Of course that just stirred the pot...how dare those bureaucrats put a test in front of me with ridiculous questions that have very little to do with flying a model airplane!
Fast forward several months, during a cool down period in which I thought ..well, maybe with some brushing up on "clouds" and "radio theory", all those facets of the hobby that are just SO important for hobbyists to know, yeah, maybe I should retake the test.

Well this time I was surprised to find that I was half way through the test and it appeared quite different; it was as if the guys from the hobby that have been meeting with Transport Canada on a monthly basis to appeal on our behave, concerning the questions that were being asked on the "basic" test, were having results..! Now, I'm not saying this thing was a breeze, the second half of it was when the questions mostly seemed to have TWO of the four multiple answers that could be correct ....anyway, this time I did pass! (Many thanks to Don's Drones On for his training videos ..!!)

..link to Don's Drones On website https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BJfu6fIHyVw

I do have a question concerning how we proceed with "training" under the new rules:

When a new member is being trained and connected wirelessly with a Club Trainer, can this be done without the trainee being required to have any other knowledge other than the passion to learn how to fly without doing it on a simulator..? I guess this should be run by the MAAC Zone Director. I'm primarily thinking of the 14 year old that wants to get into the hobby, but this could apply to any age student.

Bill
MAAC 13708
Bill
HEFA #5
MAAC #13708