New Lithium Battery Tech

Got a picture or video you would like to share with other members?
waxman

New Lithium Battery Tech

Unread post by waxman » Mon Mar 06, 2017 9:09 am

The inventor of the Li-Ion battery keeps going and going and going :-P

https://news.utexas.edu/2017/02/28/good ... technology

John
John Liddard

retiredVTT

Re: New Lithium Battery Tech

Unread post by retiredVTT » Mon Mar 06, 2017 1:48 pm

Wow..!
..that is my first reaction John, to your posting above. I've been looking forward to the next big thing regarding "energy density" with the lithium batteries that we rely on for our RC planes.
This statement in the above press release, "the researchers demonstrated that their new battery cells have at least three times as much energy density as today’s lithium-ion batteries... is very encouraging, as it suggests that the new cells with the same energy density as present day cells could be one third the size of todays cells....imagine that..!

I have one of those fiberglas "Arrow" models, purchased years ago from HK, that will not fly until we get a lithium pack that is much more powerful and smaller in size than present day cells...so I'll keep waiting and hoping..!

I look forward to hearing more about these cells from Mr. Goodenough....as they would certainly be "good enough" for me...!

thanks for posting this,
Bill
Bill
HEFA #5
MAAC #13708

the-mailman

Re: New Lithium Battery Tech

Unread post by the-mailman » Mon Mar 06, 2017 10:48 pm

That's interesting news. I hope they hit the market soon. Imagine flying the Apprentice for 60 minutes on one pack.
MAAC: 19887

I never crash, I just create exciting ways to meet the ground. After all, take-offs are desirable, landings are inevitable.