Shannon Park field maintenance

Got a picture or video you would like to share with other members?
Ghost Flyer

Shannon Park field maintenance

Unread post by Ghost Flyer » Wed May 20, 2009 12:10 pm

Anyone feel like flying at Shannon Park? A little field maintenance might be in order... ;)
Andrew C.

steve

Re: Shannon Park field maintenance

Unread post by steve » Wed May 20, 2009 5:59 pm

I lived there in '69.....

Although I was VERY young, I remember the field as in your photo to be hilly grass and not as much boulders.....

We would take wood found along the harbour shore and bridge the small hills then cover with grass. It made a fantastic "fort" that you couldn't even see.

I lived at 2 Sioux Rd apt #3 at that time which you can see from the photo.

The units looked the same except back then they had no siding on them like now........painted concrete and parging with so many coats of paint you would get cut if you rubbed up against an outside wall. It was like the CE division had used the long haired "cat" rollers to paint that left small 'stalagtites" behind that were very sharp....

The best times of my childhood were spent there as a base brat....
Steve

yorcram

Unread post by yorcram » Thu May 21, 2009 8:26 pm

Ahhh I remember those days. I slept, threw up, and soiled my diapers....come to think of it, not much has changed....
Plane Crazey :D

JohnOSullivan

Unread post by JohnOSullivan » Thu May 21, 2009 8:43 pm

It's nice to have original residents of the area amongst our group. Gives us a certain "First Nations" right to the place. I notice that there are a lot of cars parked. Were these all model fliers? Would have been a wild place to fly back then!
We will never fully appreciate the value of being able to fly there at this time and anyone who puts this privilege in Jeopardy should think twice about it.
We have been up-front and realistic about our dealings with DND and they in return have recognized our serious commitment to operating in a safe and respectful manner.
The minor inconvenience of posting signs and maintaining MAAC membership requirement and observence of their rules is something which will benefit everyone in the long term.

John
John
MAAC #5401 L
MACI (Ireland) IRL#26

steve

Unread post by steve » Tue May 26, 2009 10:30 pm

I am surprised that no-one has noticed......

The old dead tree we will be removing is in the left hand side full of life and leaves . the tree behind it is the one still flourishing now that looks like the younger in the photo...

I could be wrong, but take a look. What do you think?

Steve
Steve