Flying today 03 June 2018?

Do you plan on flying? If so, let other members know the details.
Cache Slinger

Flying today 03 June 2018?

Unread post by Cache Slinger » Sun Jun 03, 2018 7:13 am

Wow, just wrote a lengthy introduction and the darn form / Page refreshed and went blank just as I was about to submit. :(
Okay, here’s the shorter rewrite:
I’m Cache Slinger (New Guy), aka Brian Watters, an Image Tech at base Shearwater.
Just got my MAAC, card, and am looking for a place to fly today.
Winds currently 27kmph NNW. Have flown my karma drone with reasonable stability in 35kmph winds before.
Any indoor or outdoor flying locations for the Dartmouth / Halifax area for today 03 June, 2018?
Cache Slinger
MAAC # 95155

JohnOSullivan

Re: Flying today 03 June 2018?

Unread post by JohnOSullivan » Sun Jun 03, 2018 8:30 am

As far as I know the Gym at Shearwater is still open from about 9:30 am to 12:30 pm on Sundays for indoor. Especially suitable for when weather is unpleasant outdoors. Thanks to the Shearwater RC Club.
John
MAAC #5401 L
MACI (Ireland) IRL#26

Cache Slinger

Unread post by Cache Slinger » Sun Jun 03, 2018 10:12 am

No Go at Shearwater. Staff said one guy showed up and left. I waited in the empty Gym from 0930 TIL 1000, then departed. Maybe next week.
Cheers.
Cache Slinger
MAAC # 95155

bdg

Unread post by bdg » Sun Jun 03, 2018 10:14 am

We wait and wait for the weekends - but this weekend (flying-wise) was a dud. Rainy weather yesterday and very windy today. But it will improve!

I would be very surprised if anyone was at SP today. It is just too windy for smaller craft. You are right that a quadcopter will handle the winds better but even a quadcopter can be blown around and that upwind "climb" can be slow-going.

John pointed you in the right direction with the indoor at SW. We are fortunate that the SW club secured this venue and opened the event to others with MAAC (there needs to be a member of SW there to host). You need the right plane or quad - something small - for such a venue but that just adds to the hobby experience.

Our club is normally most active on the weekends - Saturday and Sunday mornings. Some members arrive very early and typically we are finished by 1pm or sooner. I believe that you have also posted on the SW site and they are an active and great club as well. And there are others in the area as well - all operating under the MAAC umbrella.

Have you flown planes yet? They are quite different than a stabilized quadcopter (which are great for so much as well) and offer lots of challenges to keep you entertained long-term. Our diverse membership are welcoming and we would be able to introduce you to this "side" of the hobby as well. Hope to see you soon!

Brian

Cache Slinger

Unread post by Cache Slinger » Sun Jun 03, 2018 10:36 am

Thanks for the info Brian.
No planes yet. My main aim is all things photography and video. The quad / drone / multiprop, (not sure the right classification), is just a means to exploring newer avenues of photography for me.
I’ll use this one (2kg weight class) for a few years until I can go larger.
$$$ is a big factor in that, so purchasing smaller models is just something I’m not in a position to do right now. LOL, I was lucky to catch my wife in a moment of weakness, to dish out the $1,600 for this one.
I imagine I’ll be paying for that for years. :)
Thanks again.
And yes, I did post on the Shearwater page as well. On my first visit to Shearwater, I found out about this club.
Seen some really old outdated pinned posts, so I wasn’t sure which board would be more responsive.

Can’t wait to fly with each.
Gotta go for now, wind speed is currently 32kmph. Can still get some stable 4K video if I hurry.
Cheers!
Cache Slinger
MAAC # 95155