Victoria Day Weekend- Lots on the Go!

Do you plan on flying? If so, let other members know the details.
bdg

Victoria Day Weekend- Lots on the Go!

Unread post by bdg » Sat May 19, 2018 1:46 pm

Great turn-out this morning with a sunny sky, fairly warm temperatures, and light winds. But it sure was busy!! I will apologize now for those that were not met with the desired level of training this morning. If there are others interested in supporting the training, then please let me know. Today, I only had one flight of my own and I would like to stretch my flying too.

Welcome this morning to some new and returning faces:
  • - Ron was up for two flights on the Apprentice. He was doing great turns in the both flights but really shined in the second flight.
    - Ali was at our field and joined MAAC for a 3 month trial. Ali had a smaller plane with a few build "issues" - I found that it flew best below half-throttle - and also flew a quadcopter. Ali was also up on the trainer for a flight and was doing very well.
    - Murray was at the field again. We signed Murray up with MAAC today (valid to the end of 2018) and he was flying a Night Visionaire (and I was jealous!). It flew great and he was mastering the control of this new plane very quickly.
    - Gaetan was new to the field and joined MAAC for a 3 month trial. Gaetan was flying a quadcopter with 1080p camera system. It flew great.
Thanks to everyone for welcoming these folks to the field and ultimately to our club!

We were able to get John F's Apprentice back in the air after fixing some channel issues with the flight modes and panic switch. Once corrected, it was flying great!

Thanks, too, to Bob for mowing the field!! It looks great. The field mowing was also extended towards the school and at least one cut on each side of the field by someone... not sure who. Speak up and let us know?

Tomorrow is looking windy and rainy. This might be an opportunity for those interested in participating at the SW indoor, 9am-1230pm tomorrow. Monday is looking good and - being a holiday - I expect that there will be people at SP again.

Oh...! And for those that didn't know, our very own Rick M is presenting this weekend at MakerFaire in San Francisco! Quite an accomplishment and credit to his tinkering skills (as we all know - he is a guru in electronics!). Have a look at the profile: https://makerfaire.com/maker/entry/65240/

Hope to see you again on Monday!

Brian

CF Av8or

Re: Victoria Day Weekend- Lots on the Go!

Unread post by CF Av8or » Sat May 19, 2018 10:09 pm

Guys,

This is to let you know that indoor flying at Shearwater is a go for tomorrow morning, as the rain will be putting a damper on any outdoor activities.

And we even have a longer time slot now - 0900 to 1230 on Sundays!

Cheers,
Vic

RocketManRC

Unread post by RocketManRC » Sun May 20, 2018 12:54 pm

bdg wrote: Oh...! And for those that didn't know, our very own Rick M is presenting this weekend at MakerFaire in San Francisco! Quite an accomplishment and credit to his tinkering skills (as we all know - he is a guru in electronics!). Have a look at the profile: https://makerfaire.com/maker/entry/65240/
It has been quite an experience to participate in this amazing event! There is something for everyone here and an incredible amount of positive energy everywhere you go. We need something like this in Atlantic Canada.
rickatmakerfaire.jpg
Rick MacDonald
May you live in interesting times!

bdg

Unread post by bdg » Sun May 20, 2018 1:53 pm

Thanks for adding to this post, Rick!!! I was hoping that you would not mind me sharing some of your amazing news with our HEFA group!!! We hope that all is going well for you!!!

Brian

RocketManRC

Unread post by RocketManRC » Sun May 20, 2018 10:19 pm

I have wanted to go to the Maker Faire in San Francisco (actually San Mateo) for quite a long time but every year something came up and I ended up not going. This year I decided to submit a proposal in early February to make a presentation with the idea that if I was accepted I would be committed to going. Much to my surprise that is exactly what happened!

It was a huge amount of work to prepare for it but I have to say that the whole thing has been a life changing experience and I am already thinking about next year. Also there is one in Ottawa on the last weekend in September so I am thinking about that too :-)
Rick MacDonald
May you live in interesting times!

Ghost Flyer

Unread post by Ghost Flyer » Mon May 21, 2018 9:48 am

RocketManRC wrote:I have wanted to go to the Maker Faire in San Francisco (actually San Mateo) for quite a long time but every year something came up and I ended up not going. This year I decided to submit a proposal in early February to make a presentation with the idea that if I was accepted I would be committed to going. Much to my surprise that is exactly what happened!

It was a huge amount of work to prepare for it but I have to say that the whole thing has been a life changing experience and I am already thinking about next year. Also there is one in Ottawa on the last weekend in September so I am thinking about that too :-)

Congratulation, Rick! That is very cool! 8-)

Andrew C
Andrew C.

JohnOSullivan

Unread post by JohnOSullivan » Mon May 21, 2018 1:37 pm

Great weekend for flying. Saturday was excellent at Shannon with a good turnout.
Sunday was intermittent rain and i went to the indoor at Shearwater about 6 or seven who had some fine flying.
Monday morning, low winds and perfect at Shannon with a big turnout including new fliers.
Sunday at 1:30 winds have swung around to southwest at 20kph gusting to 35kph --good for heavier models for slope soaring at Lawrencetown.

Congratulations to Rick, I'm sure you showed the US technofanatics some new tricks.
John
MAAC #5401 L
MACI (Ireland) IRL#26

bdg

Unread post by bdg » Mon May 21, 2018 4:55 pm

John is right!!! Great turn out today with great conditions - good enough for shorts too! :D
  • Join me in welcoming Ron as a new member to HEFA. Ron and I were up for two flights today and he was doing really well under power. No loss of altitude in the turns, great figure 8's, etc. Take offs were good. Now we are on to landing...!

Nice to see Murray back at the field too with his fleet of flyers. Some great help from Steve and from others with his radio set-up.

Ali was back with modifications to his plane. Definitely still needs a lot of work for precision flights. He was up on the Apprentice for a flight and was doing very well in the flight and take-off. Like Ron, we still need to work on the landing approaches.
There were a few other people at the field too, but I did not have a chance to get them in the air or to review our club - but others picked-up the reins for that aspect (thanks!).

Until Saturday.....!!!!

Brian