Field is a mess

Do you plan on flying? If so, let other members know the details.
the-mailman

Field is a mess

Unread post by the-mailman » Mon Dec 11, 2017 6:46 pm

Went flying today at lunch and was shocked at the state of the field. It was fine on Sunday, but today it is full of holes. Some sort of animal has dug dozens of holes all over the field. It was probably looking for grubs. I have the same problem with skunks and raccoons in my yard. It sure made for tricky take-offs and landings with my small wheels. Hopefully the rain over the next few days will help flatten and even it out again.
MAAC: 19887

I never crash, I just create exciting ways to meet the ground. After all, take-offs are desirable, landings are inevitable.

waxman

Re: Field is a mess

Unread post by waxman » Mon Dec 11, 2017 7:19 pm

Do they look like they were dug by an animal or were they maybe drilled. Canada Lands has drilled near the field in the past but never directly on our green.
John Liddard

the-mailman

Unread post by the-mailman » Mon Dec 11, 2017 7:27 pm

Pretty sure it was an animal. I've seen the same damage on my own lawn and it was like small 1-2 inch circles where the sod was dug up.
MAAC: 19887

I never crash, I just create exciting ways to meet the ground. After all, take-offs are desirable, landings are inevitable.

bdg

Unread post by bdg » Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:18 pm

Some grass had been pulled out maybe two weeks ago. Patches roughly 1 meter in diameter where the dirt was exposed and the grass out. I believe that it was Louis who suggested that this is the result of crows. Not sure if it is the same or not. He tamped down the grass in an attempt to restore the field..... but in that case there were no holes in the ground.

retiredVTT

Unread post by retiredVTT » Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:25 pm

Yes...it's probably CROWS...I got damage on my lawn.
First what happens is the area becomes infested with a larva that eats the grass roots, that kills the grass, then the crows or others rip up the half dead sods and eat the larva.

Hfx Seed have me on a list for a product next June that you apply and water into the lawn and this product contains another bug that hatches and feeds on the original larva BEFORE it destroys the grass. Sure sounds like a Ripley, belief it or not..!
I blame this on the anti pesticide program of the last few years, for years I used weed and feed, etc, and it seemed to keep things stable.

Anyway I'll have a ten x ten foot area to re-sod in May

Bill
Bill
HEFA #5
MAAC #13708

retiredVTT

Unread post by retiredVTT » Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:31 pm

The mild weather has not helped this condition either I suppose. Had the ground frozen earlier or been covered with snow, this probably would not have happen.
So what we save on the fuel bill, we spend on lawn maintenance.

Bill
Bill
HEFA #5
MAAC #13708