Slope soaring in Nova Scotia?

Do you plan on flying? If so, let other members know the details.
Jim Z in VT

Slope soaring in Nova Scotia?

Unread post by Jim Z in VT » Sun Sep 17, 2017 1:39 am

Hi, I hope you don't mind me dropping in on your forum. My wife and I will be traveling through Nova Scotia 9/22 - 10/2 and I will hopefully be sneaking a glider or 2 into the car (don't ell my wife!). Looking for advice on possible slope sites in Nova Scotia. I've read about the Lawerencetown site and hope to try it out while we're in Halifax (9/27-29). Disappointed that I'll miss your slopefest by a few days. Any pointers to other slopes throughout the province would be appreciated. We're starting in Yarmouth, then staying in Westport. Lunenburg, Halifax, Pictou, and Ingonish, before returning home to Vermont by way of New Brunswick and coastal Maine.
Thanks.

- Jim

JohnOSullivan

Re: Slope soaring in Nova Scotia?

Unread post by JohnOSullivan » Sun Sep 17, 2017 8:30 am

Hi Jim:
Welcome to Nova Scotia.
THe Slopefest has been postponed a couple of times and was scheduled for 16 Sept , but due to a Scale Fly-in on that date is now on for the 25th
This weekend has had almost flat calm winds which are great for our elecrtic flying at our main field.

As for slopes there are not very many sites that I know off-hand. Along the Southern Shore from Yarmouth there may be an occasional sea bluff which is slopeable and I have occasionally flown north of Yarmouth. As for the Pictou area there are some sea facing bluffs, I've sloped at Caribou Beach in Northerly winds. To the south of that, just north of the TransCanada west of New Glasgow is Green Hill, a very nice west facing slope and can be flown from the Park. However, it is a small clearing and tight landing area. Also in that general area Walter Hacker, a few km south of Tatamagouche has his own property set up for winch and Hi Start and he is generally available throughout the week as he runs a cabin rental setup. ( ((8627 Hwy 311 Tatamagouche NS 902 657 2962 )
Not sure if he has a sloping area, but again there should be some north facing slopes in the general area.
Along the route to Cape Breton there are a few hilly areas especially around Kelly's mountain. I've never flown in the area, but I suspect that much of the area is infested with trees, Same holds for Cape Breton, but a few of our guys recently flew slopers near Margaree. I'll check up on that.

When passing through Halifax there are a couple of us who should be able to meet up with you to fly at Lawrencetown. Contact me at spinifex@eastlink.ca and we'll arrange something.

Transport Canada has clamped down hard recently restricting model sizes and altitudes, although these are waived when flying at MAAC registered sites.
John
MAAC #5401 L
MACI (Ireland) IRL#26

astroflyer

Unread post by astroflyer » Sun Sep 17, 2017 9:18 am

There is a spot at Whale Cove in Cape Breton where the guys attending the Margaree fly in in June have done some slope soaring. Here's a look at it on google maps. The end of the road on that little peninsula is fairly high up with slopes on three sides. You might check there. At any rate one of the scenic look offs in Cape Breton, especially at sunset. Worth a visit just for that.

https://www.google.ca/maps/@46.4244997, ... 041,17.47z

There are a few photos of the guys flying there in this MAAC newsletter from July. Towards the end of the newsletter.

http://www.asrcm.ns.ca/files/July_2017_newsletter.pdf

Jim Z in VT

Unread post by Jim Z in VT » Tue Sep 19, 2017 4:51 am

Thanks for the tips guys. I'll tag them on Google Maps and try to check some out in our travels. Unfortunately our schedule doesn't put us in the Lawrencetown area on the weekend of the rescheduled slopefest.
I've been scouring Google Earth and have spotted a couple possible sites south of Lunenburg....Several bluffs at Hirtles beach and a cliff on Gaffs Point.

What are the rules as far as flying in the national park? I read on blog I came across that RC flying is prohibited in the park, but I could not find any regulations mentioning it at all. The same blog mentioned White's Point a few miles north of Neils Harbour as a location just outside the park to fly off the sea cliffs.

I'll get in touch if the wind looks like it will be favorable for Lawrencetown when we're in that area.

- Jim

Jim Z in VT

Unread post by Jim Z in VT » Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:06 pm

I may make it out to the Lawrencetown slope tomorrow (Weds.) late in the afternoon. It's uncertain, depends on a number of things, including whether the wind is blowing.

We've had a great trip so far, with stays in Yarmouth, Briar Island, and Lunenburg. I've come across a bunch of potentially good slopes, but each time the wind was blowing from the wrong direction.

- Jim

JohnOSullivan

Unread post by JohnOSullivan » Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:35 am

Winds from east southeast until early asfternoon swinging to South southeast 11 kph by 3pm. Light but should be fairly good.
Call me at 902 462 3953 or email spinifex@eastlink.ca
Possibly another coming too.
John
MAAC #5401 L
MACI (Ireland) IRL#26