September 16/17, 2017

Do you plan on flying? If so, let other members know the details.
bdg

September 16/17, 2017

Unread post by bdg » Sat Sep 16, 2017 3:31 pm

Wow! What a day! Light(ish) winds, warm, and sunny!

I was happy to get the UMX Timber in the air today and it flew very well. Quite a sight in the air next to the full size HH Timber - similar slow flying characteristics, very short take off and landings (without the front stats - supposedly even less distance with these installed. Next is to mount the floats and to determine how well it handles....

Congrats to Chris H for his maiden with his extensively rebuilt balsa plane. Great job, for sure! I would like to learn your secrets for building and covering (other than extreme patience). Great colour scheme. I have some video that I will try to compile - if it is at all worthwhile....

A few pics attached - pre- and post-flight.

A father / son team arrived at SP just as I was packing up at 1pm. I suggested that they should return tomorrow. Keep your eyes open!

Tomorrow is looking fine too!
Attachments
IMG_0681.jpg
IMG_0691.jpg
IMG_0692.jpg

chodgkinson

Re: September 16/17, 2017

Unread post by chodgkinson » Sat Sep 16, 2017 5:06 pm

Thanks Brian for snapping a couple of shots before I put it up for it's re-maiden. Always good to record what she looks like before just in case the first flight doesn't go as planned. And thanks Bill and Andrew for the help in getting it trimmed during that first flight. It was definitely climbing and a little tail heavy.

I added 1/2 an ounce to the front and made a small adjustment to the elevator for the second flight and it's flying quite nicely now.

Chris

retiredVTT

Unread post by retiredVTT » Sat Sep 16, 2017 5:40 pm

I'll add a postscript here regarding the model that Chris did extensive reworking to.

This was a "Mirage 540" I believe, that had belonged to Jim Haliburtons' dad (George, if memory serves me) and some time back Jim brought it to me with the idea that the Club could refurbish it and either use it as a trainer, or sell it off.

The bottom line is that after several months of reengineering it to accept an electric motor with battery compartment and recovering the model completely, as well as a bunch of smaller items such as a steerable tail wheel and bolt on wing; and with many dollars spent, Chris made a $40. donation to the HEFA account and now has the ownership of the model.

I'm pleased, and I hope Jim drops around to see the model fly again, and just maybe Chris will allow Jim to have some "stick time".

My congrats to Chris on a job well done..!

Bill
Bill
HEFA #5
MAAC #13708

Tom B T-28

Unread post by Tom B T-28 » Sat Sep 16, 2017 5:57 pm

Glad to see you guys are still having fun at Shannon field! Did you get a raise Brian- what with all the new planes you have purchased? :lol: Nice new build there Chris, looks like you did an excellent job building that! I have been having a great time at the Dunrobin field here outside of Ottawa! I am about 25min drive to the field on the back country roads! We had a big picnic at our field a couple of weeks ago- lots of planes, people and food! Saw a nice pattern performance buy the manager of the local Great Hobbies store flying what appeared to be a 60% Extra. Nice! Most of the flyers are into gas and nitro however some are starting to try out the electric side. While I don't know much about the gas models I am able to provide assistance to those flyers trying out the electric side of the hobby!
Weather here has been nice and I am hoping that we will be flying well into the fall.
Hopefully the Breakfast Club is still active with Lou , Bob and whomever! Still miss having Tyrone delivering my coffee! Closest Tim's to our field would be about 15 mins. away as there is not a Tim's on every corner up here.
All moved into the new home now and life is Good!
Happy Flying guys!
Tom

bdg

Unread post by bdg » Sat Sep 16, 2017 6:20 pm

Nice to hear from you Tom! We have been talking about how we miss you at SP.

Glad to hear that you have settled in and are enjoying life.

As for the raise... I would suggest something about mid-life. I keep saying that I want to buy a motorcycle - or maybe a sporty convertible - but funds are tough for those!

Keep in touch, Tom.

All the best,

Brian

retiredVTT

Unread post by retiredVTT » Sun Sep 17, 2017 3:07 pm

Update on Tom Benham's email address:

It's tgbenham@gmail.com

I found out the hard way, by peeving off the "the other Tom B..!)

Bill
Bill
HEFA #5
MAAC #13708

bdg

Unread post by bdg » Sun Sep 17, 2017 4:05 pm

ANOTHER awesome day at SP. Decent turn-out and very light winds. Cooler than yesterday and cloudy - but still great.

I left at 2pm and Andrew C, Bill F and Steve W were still there.

I have uploaded a short video to YouTube with Chris' landing and some flight from Bill's Viggen.

Check out the video and the awesome sound of an EDF: https://youtu.be/RqRwGIS7ON4

Some pics too....
Attachments
IMG_0696.jpg
IMG_0697.jpg
IMG_0694.jpg