Lunch time flying

Do you plan on flying? If so, let other members know the details.
the-mailman

Lunch time flying

Unread post by the-mailman » Thu Jun 29, 2017 2:58 pm

Got out for a fly at lunch today. A little windy, but still ran 2 batteries. I'm hoping we get an extension to our lease since now that I work at BIO I can drop by any lunch time that has good weather. Now to build more small planes that will fit in the back of my truck.
MAAC: 19887

I never crash, I just create exciting ways to meet the ground. After all, take-offs are desirable, landings are inevitable.

bdg

Re: Lunch time flying

Unread post by bdg » Thu Jun 29, 2017 5:37 pm

Bruce.... we're all hoping....!!! Fingers crossed in the 11th hour.

the-mailman

Unread post by the-mailman » Wed Aug 30, 2017 2:29 pm

Finally have a second car so I can bring planes to work with me. Been on the motorcycle all summer until now. Overcast and warm, but with no wind it was great flying weather for an hour at noon.

Added weight to the nose of my Cessna and it flies much better. I still think it's twitchy, but it's manageable. The only thing I don't like is leaving lipos in my car for the day.

I never crash, I just create exciting ways to meet the ground. After all, take-offs are desirable, landings are inevitable.

bdg

Unread post by bdg » Sun Sep 03, 2017 3:36 pm

I believe that school is starting this week for the elementary school and this might tend to curtail lunchtime flying.... or at least might offset it to adjust for any outdoor activities from the kiddies. I believe that we are all on the same page with "safety first" and it is not the best idea to by flying over the schoolyard when the kids are outside.

The only other option might be a very small / slow plane kept well within the confines of the field or to the "right" as seen from the parking area, but away from the school kids.

Brian

JohnOSullivan

Unread post by JohnOSullivan » Sun Sep 03, 2017 4:21 pm

I can see no problem in flying in Shannon while kids are in class and the school bell can be used as a signal to land.
However, even when they are on their break, it would be a nice opportunity to introduce them to model flying. When I was a kid this would have been looked on as a healthy outlet for kids, but with today's political correctness we would be looked at as a bunch of predators.
John
MAAC #5401 L
MACI (Ireland) IRL#26

bdg

Unread post by bdg » Sun Sep 03, 2017 4:37 pm

Agreed, John. Like I suggested... "offset your lunch hour" to when the kids are inside. The idea of landing when the bell rings also makes a lot of sense.

I remember being at the school area many years ago with a UMX model (T28, I believe) and some kids seemed to be interested. I was flying well away from the kids and in-line with the ball diamond and to the right of the flight line and in tight circles. But (at least at that time) the kids needed to stay within the confines of the schoolyard and were very quickly encouraged back to the school property.

JohnF

Unread post by JohnF » Fri Sep 08, 2017 1:21 pm

Went to SP this morning to discharge some batteries in my Apprentice. Two great flights in a light wind. The yellow flowers are thriving on the landing site.
There were some surveyors setting up points of reference in the field were people let their dogs run!

the-mailman

Unread post by the-mailman » Wed Nov 01, 2017 3:30 pm

Got out again today once the kids had returned to school. Light winds and my Cessna flew well. Kept the circuits tight to stay away from the school. Heading back over at 4 to run my second battery after I check the wind, looks like it's increasing.