John has a Good selection of E-Flite planes...

Discussions related to sport models.
Enforcer

John has a Good selection of E-Flite planes...

Unread post by Enforcer » Tue Dec 22, 2009 10:29 pm

... and so I bought one from him today; the E-flite Taylorcraft 450 (I'll be installing the 480 though). He has several more E-flite models as well. Check out Maritime Hobbies soon... tell 'em Murray sent you. Oh, John says I'm the "first to buy an E-Flite plane from him"... always good to be recognized as being "number one" at something!!!! :lol: Better hurry of you want the E-Flite Pannee (spelling) (editor: he means Pawnee I think) cause John says he is thinking about giving it to himself for Christmas... ya right, just give it to Greg... ya know he'll be the one flying it!!! :lol:

http://www.e-fliterc.com/Products/Defau ... ID=EFL2625

RCGroups thread...

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=748841

YouTube of a "clipped wing" Taylorcraft... the real plane!!! WOW!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7QzC-irZ ... r_embedded

Youtube vid of the model.... this guy has skills!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j6krokLNdjE
Last edited by Enforcer on Sat Dec 26, 2009 7:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Murray Wheten

“My philosophy, like color television, is all there in black and white”
Monty Python

retiredVTT

Re: John has a Good selection of E-Flite planes...

Unread post by retiredVTT » Wed Dec 23, 2009 2:48 am

I think you probably were referring to the Piper PAWNEE in the above post...

Bill
Attachments
eflite_piper_pawnee_d.jpg
eflite_piper_pawnee_d.jpg (28.53 KiB) Viewed 3950 times
Bill
HEFA #5
MAAC #13708

retiredVTT

Unread post by retiredVTT » Wed Dec 23, 2009 3:00 am

My gosh Murray, is that TWO civilian planes you've purchased, back to back...?

You mean the war is over ...did we win...?

Kidding aside, you got a couple of nice high wingers there..!

Bill
Bill
HEFA #5
MAAC #13708

Enforcer

Unread post by Enforcer » Wed Dec 23, 2009 6:50 am

retired wrote:I think you probably were referring to the Piper PAWNEE in the above post...

Bill
Yes, that's why I put (spelling) in brackets.. only off by one letter. Where I come from (bad-spellers-ville) I would have gotten a B+ on a spelling test. :lol:

BTW, Bill... it is "very poor form" to edit someone else's posts, unless, they have posted something inappropriate. But, you must have a "policies and procedures" warning post as well some where on the forum. You will notice that I removed the pic of the Taylorcraft that you "added" to my post. Thanks, I know you meant well and I appreciate anything you wish to add on any topic I post! But, I must insist that you not change any of my posts unless they contain offensive material... which I will endeavor not to do. Thanks for respecting my wishes Bill! :D
Murray Wheten

Monty Python

retiredVTT

Unread post by retiredVTT » Wed Dec 23, 2009 11:58 am

Enforcer wrote:
retired wrote:I think you probably were referring to the Piper PAWNEE in the above post...

Bill
Yes, that's why I put (spelling) in brackets.. only off by one letter. Where I come from (bad-spellers-ville) I would have gotten a B+ on a spelling test. :lol:

BTW, Bill... it is "very poor form" to edit someone else's posts, unless, they have posted something inappropriate. But, you must have a "policies and procedures" warning post as well some where on the forum. You will notice that I removed the pic of the Taylorcraft that you "added" to my post. Thanks, I know you meant well and I appreciate anything you wish to add on any topic I post! But, I must insist that you not change any of my posts unless they contain offensive material... which I will endeavor not to do. Thanks for respecting my wishes Bill! :D

No problem here,
Bill
Bill
HEFA #5
MAAC #13708

yorcram

Unread post by yorcram » Wed Dec 23, 2009 2:40 pm

retiredVTT wrote:My gosh Murray, is that TWO civilian planes you've purchased, back to back...?

You mean the war is over ...did we win...?

Kidding aside, you got a couple of nice high wingers there..!

Bill
Both those 'Civies' wore uniforms. But they couln't march/fly formation :lol:
Plane Crazey :D

Enforcer

Unread post by Enforcer » Fri Dec 25, 2009 7:01 pm

Murray Wheten

Monty Python

KrasherJack

Unread post by KrasherJack » Fri Dec 25, 2009 9:27 pm

Wow, that baby can fly.... :o
Zoom..Zoom

Enforcer

Unread post by Enforcer » Sat Dec 26, 2009 4:53 pm

It seems I am not the only guy who has a problem with the " weak and uneven" elevator. I copied this post from an RCGroups thread. Several people responded saying they had experienced this as well. Also, I will be "adding" some glue to the motor mount as this gent did...

So, I finished my 450 (actually I used a 480) and flew it this morning. Since I am getting back into this after a long hiatus, I had a much more experienced guy trim it out for me. He said it was one of the best planes he'd every flown. I don't have a long enough resume, but it seemed to fly great. Greased my first couple of landings as well. Overall, I am very happy with this plane. I like it much better than my friends 0.40 glow trainer that I had been learning on.

A couple of gripes, however, which keep this from being a five star review:

On my third flight (so far it had no "incidents"), we heard a weird noise from the plane in flight. I decided to land it immediately. It turned out the motor mount came loose. The front plate pulled off the little cage. Looks like not enough glue or something. Could have been a lot worse had it completely detached in flight, but it did rub against the cowling.

Also, a few other things during construction:

One of the small pattern 4-40 nuts for the landing gear did not have any threads. That required a trip back to the LHS which for me is not so local.
I was given two few many 2x6 sheet screws (had 2x8 instead), this was an issue because the 2x8s would not work with the wheel pants. I just had to swap out with two 2x6 screws on the skylight.
the elevator did not rotate equally on both sides. the angled rod on one side was not firmly secure to the stabilizer. the rear portion of the fuselage was very out of true, so getting the stab and rudder square with the wings took a fair amount of work.

The guy at the hobby store said he and 4 other guys he knows all built theirs and that these were not common issues. I wonder if I got a plane by some dude in China on his first day on the job or if these minor types of issues are common with ARFs?

-Ray
Last edited by Enforcer on Tue Dec 29, 2009 9:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Murray Wheten

Monty Python

Enforcer

Unread post by Enforcer » Sat Dec 26, 2009 7:03 pm

I followed the advice I mentioned above and "fixed" the problem. Both sides of the elevator move proportionately to each other now . I am a happy modeler (dare I call myself a modeler? Well, almost a modeler!) ;)
Murray Wheten

Monty Python