Behind Door # Three..(THE RIFLE!)

Discussions related to sport models.
retiredVTT

Behind Door # Three..(THE RIFLE!)

Unread post by retiredVTT » Tue Jul 06, 2010 10:55 pm

I think I may have found the perfect b-day or Xmas gift for 2010...and it's behind Door # THREE..!

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1243104

-quote-
The summer of 2010 might just be the summer of speed for ElectriFly! I have spent the last several months flying three new releases from ElectriFly, and the one thing that all three have in common is they go FAST! Two of the speedsters are EDF powered airframes; the F-20 Tigershark, constructed of AeroCell foam and the Evader, a sleek high performance composite sport jet. These two airframes use the same power system and benefit from nearly 500 watts of EDF goodness. But if you find that neither one of them gives you quite the adrenaline rush you are after, then the little treat hidden behind door number three will assuredly give you the fast fix you desire.

Why go to the trouble of building a pylon racer when this "RIFLE" is ready made in fiberglas no less....and will hit the century mark on the US speedometer while costing just slightly over a $100. for the airframe.

I will be following this one with interest on the threads.

May be a candidate for a maiden flight on Porter's Lake from the ice next year.

Bill
Last edited by retiredVTT on Sun Sep 26, 2010 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bill
HEFA #5
MAAC #13708

retiredVTT

Re: Behind Door # Three..! (SPEED!)

Unread post by retiredVTT » Tue Jul 06, 2010 11:03 pm

Sweet...!
Attachments
Rilfe_02.jpg
IMGP3784.jpg
Bill
HEFA #5
MAAC #13708

saboo

Unread post by saboo » Wed Jul 07, 2010 12:01 pm

Better come with a jumbo size pack of depends for the pilot and the spectators. 8-D
Nothing like the smell of electrons in the morning ;-)

steve

Unread post by steve » Wed Jul 07, 2010 7:34 pm

Looks Wicked.................!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Steve
Steve

retiredVTT

Unread post by retiredVTT » Mon Jul 26, 2010 7:52 pm

..quote from supplier,
This is the radio controlled, electric powered, almost ready to fly Great Planes ElectriFly Rifle Sport Airplane. **For advanced pilots only, not suitable for beginning or intermediate pilots** **The Rifle reaches speeds approaching 100mph (161kph)** **and should be flown only at an approved AMA flying site.** **Because it can quickly disappear from sight, pilots should** **remain focused on the plane at all times.**

..a little bird, actually it was a large bird..told me there are a pair of these coming to town very shortly!

Bill
Attachments
rifle.jpg
rifle.jpg (4.75 KiB) Viewed 4868 times
Bill
HEFA #5
MAAC #13708

retiredVTT

Re: Behind Door # Three..(THE RIFLE!)

Unread post by retiredVTT » Sun Sep 26, 2010 6:38 pm

Update on the RIFLE...

I posted on RCGroups that I had heard a rumor that production of the Rifle had been stopped after numerous wings broke when reaching speeds of around 120MPH..!
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthre ... st16148363 (post 1301)

Within an hour I received this reply..

Originally Posted by KRProton
Hello Bill.

Future production Rifles will have a strengthened wing, but all the other info you have stated is not quite right. Production of one unit or another is not continuous--we make a production run of something to fill a purchase order, then stop it once the order has been filled, only to start again sometime in the future when another order for more units has been placed--it's not a continuous conveyor belt, so most of the time production is "stopped" anyway. And between production runs, there is the occasion to make running changes/improvements.

We have already developed and tested a strengthened wing, so we're just waiting for the next shipment.

The 120mph figure you have is also unsubstantiated. There has been no data released or gathered about the precise conditions in which failures have occurred--whether it's at a certain speed, loading or power combination. Yes, there have been some wing failures (a few of which have been reported in this thread), but I don't think the description "numerous" is fair. I will say that only three or four Rifles with wing failures have been returned to Hobbico for validation and replacement under warranty--this is a minutely small percentage.

In spite of this, we also know there will be experienced 'pylon' pilots who will fly the Rifle faster and faster with more powerful motor/propeller/battery combinations regardless of any stated limitations and this is why the wing has been strengthened.

Tim

(so I replied,)
Thanks Tim for the prompt reply. It's always nice to know that the thread is being monitored closely.
Sorry if I came across critically....I was trying to state that, as per usual, we modellers were overpowering the Rifle which was resulting in failures.

Appreciate the fact that you guys are making a mod to address an issue that came about due to us "hot rodding" the airframe.

I look forward to the latest production run.

Bill
Bill
HEFA #5
MAAC #13708

KrasherJack

Unread post by KrasherJack » Sun Sep 26, 2010 7:17 pm

Holy speed Batman... :(
remain focused on the plane at all times.**[/b]

I wonder how many goal posts I can take out with this Baby... :shock:
Zoom..Zoom

retiredVTT

Unread post by retiredVTT » Sun Sep 26, 2010 8:26 pm

Hey Jack...psst..Chris has one ordered.. :lol: :lol: :lol: :oops:
(..he will likely register it, along with his other Rifles..!)

Bill
Bill
HEFA #5
MAAC #13708

retiredVTT

Unread post by retiredVTT » Mon Sep 27, 2010 8:57 pm

..more comment from Hobbico,

Originally Posted by retiredVTT
Thanks Tim for the prompt reply. It's always nice to know that the thread is being monitored closely.
Sorry if I came across critically....I was trying to state that, as per usual, we modellers were overpowering the Rifle which was resulting in failures.

Appreciate the fact that you guys are making a mod to address an issue that came about due to us "hot rodding" the airframe.

I look forward to the latest production run.

Bill

Not at all Bill. You asked good questions. Similarly, it's difficult for me to state our position withouth coming across as defensive.

This is the problem with a product like this...with most planes, guys usually stay within the recommended power limitations. But we've learned, with a racing plane like the Rifle, it's mere existance just about beggs people to overpower it and push the limits. Besides, the motor recommendations are kind of a gray area. With glow or gas planes, you can specify .91 4-stroke glow and .61 2-stroke glow. Anything larger than that is clearly overpowering the plane and probably voids the warranty. However, with an electric plane like the Rifle, simply recommending a specific motor in the instructions (such as the 24-33-3180 Ammo) isn't specific enough. Those are just dimensions and a kV rating, but states nothing about power, so it's difficult for one to know if they're overpowering the plane or not if they go to a different brand motor. We were more specific with new Rifles which are implicitly limited to 300W and 19.2 oz.

Tim
Bill
HEFA #5
MAAC #13708

retiredVTT

Unread post by retiredVTT » Mon Oct 25, 2010 4:28 pm

While the RC world awaits an improved RIFLE (wing), here is a review and some build tips on this product.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/magazine/arti ... le_id=1263

..you will notice a tip in this article...pertaining to Futaba servos and perhaps other servos as well...

"if the servo horn does not align itself, remove it and turn it 180* and try it again".

This is because the servo has an odd number of "splines". I only learned this a year or so ago....which just proves, your never too old to learn..!

Bill
Bill
HEFA #5
MAAC #13708