WORKSHOP IDEAS

Post here about current projects being worked on.
retiredVTT

WORKSHOP IDEAS

Unread post by retiredVTT » Mon Nov 10, 2008 2:11 pm

I've been asked for some ideas on a workbench, so thought I would start a thread with a few pics of what has worked for me.

I built my workbench in 2002, my second year of retirement, and knew from past modelling days in the 1980's that an eight foot long table is a good length, but if you keep it four feet wide, and plan to have any cabinets at the rear, you wanna have very long arms..! For that reason I reduced the width (depth) of this one to 42 inches, and I still have to lean to reach those cabinets but it works nicely for me.

I built a 2x4 frame and used TWO layers on the top. First was a reasonably cheap 3/4" thick particle board sheet, then a more durable 3/4" thick "good one side" plywood sheet. I screwed the top sheet to the lower sheet from underneath. I faced the front and sides with a four inch wide by 1/2" thick pine facing and finally edged the pine with a 1.5 inch by 3/4 inch oak trim. Seems like a lot, now that I put it in words but you know how it is....you only want to build it once, so let's try and get it right. The reason for the oak, and I got this idea from a model mag, is that when your sanding an item close to the edge of the bench, you want a hard surface in case you sanding goes astray and you wind up sanding the bench...something like that..!

Bottom line is that I have been very satisfied with this setup for six years now. A good sanding job and a few coats of Varathane and this bench was ready to go. The pictures taken in '02 show it as it will never be seen again.....pristine and empty. Boy, it's hard to keep it that way. I guess a crowded bench means you're still having fun!

I have read articles where the builder has made an elaborate setup in order to KEEP the top of the bench level in all directions and I quickly realized that this was not for me. So I built it as close to level as a four foot level would get me and then built a separate building board, roughly 42" by 9" that I know is flat, and which I can pin balsa to if it's necessary when building a wing, etc. (I posted a separate thread on the building board) Actually with some of the newer laser cut kits and fancy "truss" design, some models can now be built true and straight without being pinned down.

(some of these pics require you to click on them to expand them..)

Bill
Bill
HEFA #5
MAAC #13708

retiredVTT

Re: WORKSHOP IDEAS

Unread post by retiredVTT » Mon Nov 10, 2008 2:39 pm

Behind the bench and centered between the cabinets is my collection of RCM magazines from 1975 to the early 90's. For ten years I had every issue, then they get a bit sparce. Nowadays it's FLY R/C that I've subscribed to for four years and even recently won another year to, for submitting an idea for attaching a windscreen. I liked the plans they would publish every quarter but I see they are getting slack on this.

Bill
Bill
HEFA #5
MAAC #13708

retiredVTT

Unread post by retiredVTT » Mon Nov 10, 2008 3:06 pm

Couple of items that have really worked for me are an Overhead Radiant Heater...and a 9 inch Bandsaw and Belt/Disc Sander combo.

Since my bench/workshop is in my "garage" and even though there is a 10 foot electric baseboard heater unit under the bench I don't use it as the cost of operation would probably cut heavily into my model budget..!
Instead I mounted a radiant heater, ABOVE the bench, and it does a great job of heating the entire surface of the bench and all objects on the bench and I wind up wearing a hat to keep my balding head from overheating!

For awhile I used a scroll saw for cutting out ply pieces, etc, but switched two years ago to a DeWalt 9" bandsaw and I find it much better. I mounted it on a surplus piece of countertop and supported it with a $20. frame from Canadain Tire that is on casters. If I'm doing a big job, I open the door and take it outdoors. Mounting a small belt/disc sander alongside the saw completes the setup and you can quickly cut a piece and have it sanded and ready for installation.

The last thing I did was drop mount an electrical box, three feet down from my ceiling mounted garage door opener box, so now I can plug in my mobile saw/sander right above where it sits. I always say ..."you gotta have the gear!"

Bill
Attachments
Workshop 002xx.jpg
Workshop 002xx.jpg (41.09 KiB) Viewed 3240 times
Workshop 001xx.jpg
Workshop 001xx.jpg (27.93 KiB) Viewed 3234 times
workshop 016.jpgxx.jpg
workshop 016.jpgxx.jpg (96.67 KiB) Viewed 3240 times
workshop 024.jpgxx.jpg
workshop 024.jpgxx.jpg (118 KiB) Viewed 3240 times
Bill
HEFA #5
MAAC #13708

Ghost Flyer

Unread post by Ghost Flyer » Mon Nov 10, 2008 5:15 pm

That is some sweet setup you have there, Bill. Loads of helpful ideas and tips in there. I'm considering setting up in my basement, but I have a 4' x 4' hole in the wall for the entrance that I'll have to contend with. Once I step into the basement, the unfinished ceiling is only 6' high from the unfinished floor. It's going to be a movie room/project room. (apprx. 400 sq ft) I may still use the garage, but will have to wait to see.

Thanks for posting the pics and info. Finding out what tools people use for these projects is useful as well.

Cheers,
Andrew
Andrew C.

retiredVTT

Unread post by retiredVTT » Wed Nov 12, 2008 2:28 pm

oops..forgot a very necessary item , gotta have a butt resting place..!

I was given this little diddy last Xmas and it serves me well! (Edit..10/31/15...picture is now missing, don't know why..!)

Bill
Last edited by retiredVTT on Wed Dec 30, 2015 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bill
HEFA #5
MAAC #13708

retiredVTT

Unread post by retiredVTT » Sat Oct 31, 2015 4:26 pm

So...it's now seven years later...Crap, where does time go..!)

I've been asked lately how I hang up my models, and also have posted that those radiant heaters are now on sale at Princess Auto this week for just $48.88 instead of $69.00

So here are a couple pics of my stuff hanging from the horizontal stabs....works quite well with a nine foot ceiling. Otherwise hang them from a wall so they don't get bumped.

Bill
Attachments
IMG_5197.JPG
IMG_5199.JPG
IMG_5202.JPG
IMG_5200.JPG
IMG_5198.JPG
Bill
HEFA #5
MAAC #13708

RonStuart

Unread post by RonStuart » Mon Dec 28, 2015 8:06 pm

Compliments of the season, Bill.
Thanks you for this post (albeit a few years old) and others you have done about your workshop, bench, building board, etc. Very helpful to me since I'm about to undertake my first build in a very long time, a House of Balsa 44" wingspan T-6 Texan, or Harvard, as I prefer to think of it. Ron
Ron Stuart
HEFA 116
MAAC 87976
E-Flite Piper Cherokee, E-flite DHC-2 Beaver
UMX Timber, Eagle 2, HOB Harvard

retiredVTT

Unread post by retiredVTT » Mon Dec 28, 2015 9:28 pm

Good to hear from you Ron..! Seasons Greetings as well.

I just came in from a few hours in the "shop". Working on the Adrian Page 80" Cub, although I have already reduced the wing to 74" by eliminating one 3" bay from each side. I'm making the one piece wing into two sections for easier transportation and storage. Also they say a shorter wing is better for aerobatics, but for that I probably should have taken two bays out from each side.

I have a build thread going on it on our WORKSHOP forum. I'll cover it in Olive Drab color as a military version.

Glad you got something out of this thread.

Cheers,
Bill
Bill
HEFA #5
MAAC #13708

yorcram

Unread post by yorcram » Wed Dec 30, 2015 10:39 am

For 'indoor' shops having a shop vac is a must once you start sanding. I have a long hose and some gates that i setup at workstations for quick use.
A few years back my wife got me a Turbo-lid. It sits over a garbage can and connected to the shopvac. Don't have to worry about cleaning out the shopvac.

Marc
Attachments
20151230_103844.jpg
Plane Crazey :D