Mirage 2000 (by Fly-Fly) project..

Post here about current projects being worked on.
steve

Re: Mirage 2000 (by Fly-Fly) project..

Unread post by steve » Sun Feb 03, 2019 5:15 pm

Can't go wrong with metal gear servos and an on-line discussion to work out any questionsI I looked at some of your previous posts here and the fan you are using looks awesome. I'm sensing it will be fast :D

Steve
Steve

retiredVTT

Unread post by retiredVTT » Mon Feb 04, 2019 12:06 am

steve wrote:Can't go wrong with metal gear servos and an on-line discussion to work out any questionsI I looked at some of your previous posts here and the fan you are using looks awesome. I'm sensing it will be fast :D

Steve

...that's the plan Steve! That video I posted in my first post shows how easy this model launches when using a 6S pack and also how slow it can be landed in a high alpha attitude. Here's hoping !
Bill
HEFA #5
MAAC #13708

retiredVTT

Unread post by retiredVTT » Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:43 pm

...update, the wing halves can now be set aside until the fuselage is ready to receive them.
Attachments
Img_7043xx.jpg
Img_7042xx.jpg
Bill
HEFA #5
MAAC #13708

retiredVTT

Unread post by retiredVTT » Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:50 pm

The fuselage consists of four pieces of foam with each half made up of a front and rear section. The picture shows the two large rear sections and a third piece made up of the two front pieces temporary joined.

A major amount of foam removal was done, to open up the battery area, and after that a 1/8" ply battery plate was installed.
Attachments
Img_7044xx.jpg
Img_7046xx.jpg
Bill
HEFA #5
MAAC #13708

retiredVTT

Unread post by retiredVTT » Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:59 pm

The combination "Hatch/Canopy" is a two piece affair with both pieces being of decent quality. When trimmed and fitted together, the combo looks quite good.
Attachments
Img_7047xx.jpg
Bill
HEFA #5
MAAC #13708

retiredVTT

Unread post by retiredVTT » Sat Feb 09, 2019 5:53 pm

Because there is limited room under the canopy for both a honking big battery AND a receiver, I took the advice from an RCGroups thread and will locate the receiver in an area BEHIND the canopy. To do this involves cutting off the foam directly aft of the canopy and attaching this piece to the canopy itself, so that when the canopy is removed....Viola, you have access to the receiver..!

..the pics explain it better,
Attachments
Img_7048xx.jpg
Img_7049xx.jpg
Bill
HEFA #5
MAAC #13708

retiredVTT

Unread post by retiredVTT » Sun Feb 17, 2019 6:35 pm

..more progress,

Working on getting the power unit from the bench to inside the Mirage..!

There are a number of things to keep in mind, such as should you secure the fan & esc into the model without any way to service or replace either item, without major surgery. I decided to provide a hatch to service the fan if necessary, but to bury the esc within the thick foam wing and take my chances. It's a 150 amp unit so it should not suffer a burn out, and the BEC portion of it is only supplying power to two servos. Rather than having the ESC and wiring within the ductwork which feeds air to the fan, the entire unit will run outside the ductwork and the wing will then be hollowed out some, before being glued to the fuselage. Future pics will detail this, but essentially the ESC and wiring will be sandwiched between the outside bottom of the fuselage and inside bottom of the wing.
Attachments
Img_7053xx.jpg
Img_7055xx.jpg
Bill
HEFA #5
MAAC #13708

retiredVTT

Unread post by retiredVTT » Sun Feb 17, 2019 6:45 pm

The front section of the fuselage (two halves) got epoxied together today along with the battery plate. 30 minute glue for this task, as you want at least twenty minutes to get all surfaces prepped. The two halves are a tongue and groove fit which makes alignment easy.

Since the rear section of the two fuselage halves have not been joined together yet, this was a good time to strengthen the inlets of the airducts so I used a light layer of fiberglas cloth and water based polyurethane to cover the first two inches of each duct. Previous experience with a Super Scorpion showed that this is an area that takes a beating with EDF's that belly land.
Attachments
Img_7056xx.jpg
Img_7057xx.jpg
Img_7059xx.jpg
Img_7060xx.jpg
Last edited by retiredVTT on Tue Feb 19, 2019 4:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Bill
HEFA #5
MAAC #13708

steve

Unread post by steve » Sun Feb 17, 2019 8:02 pm

retiredVTT wrote:.Rather than having the ESC and wiring within the ductwork which feeds air to the fan, the entire unit will run outside the ductwork and the wing will then be hollowed out some, before being glued to the fuselage. Future pics will detail this, but essentially the ESC and wiring will be sandwiched between the outside bottom of the fuselage and inside bottom of the wing.
What's the concern of running it in the ductwork in direct airflow?

Steve
Steve

retiredVTT

Unread post by retiredVTT » Mon Feb 18, 2019 1:37 pm

steve wrote:
retiredVTT wrote:.Rather than having the ESC and wiring within the ductwork which feeds air to the fan, the entire unit will run outside the ductwork and the wing will then be hollowed out some, before being glued to the fuselage. Future pics will detail this, but essentially the ESC and wiring will be sandwiched between the outside bottom of the fuselage and inside bottom of the wing.
What's the concern of running it in the ductwork in direct airflow?

Steve
The ductwork walls are not much thicker than 1/4 inch and one guy had taped his ESC to a wall and it did not withstand the force of incoming air, so alternative ways began to be looked at to keep the ductwork clear. Some guys have bolted the wing to the fuselage in four places to aid in servicing the ESC if necessary but it involves extra foam removal and the placing of wood squares in both surfaces. I'm opting for Gorilla glue..!
Last edited by retiredVTT on Tue Feb 26, 2019 9:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bill
HEFA #5
MAAC #13708