Turbo Raven model from SEAGULL

Post here about current projects being worked on.
retiredVTT

Re: Turbo Raven model from SEAGULL

Unread post by retiredVTT » Mon Mar 12, 2018 4:53 pm

This is my first time working with wing "fillets", and plastic ones at that!

They go between the fuselage and the wing to give a more streamlined appearance to the joint.
I figure they are much less susceptible to damage If they are attached to the fuselage rather than to the wing, so since they get glued onto the fuselage it was imperative to have a layer of "saran-wrap" between the wing and the fillet before I tightnened the wing bolts and let the glue on the fillet dry. The glue I used is a "canopy glue" by Deluxe Materials that is quite tacky, has a 30 minute working time, and dries clear.

The pics tell the story..
Attachments
IMG_6800.JPG
IMG_6801.JPG
IMG_6802.JPG
IMG_6804.JPG
Bill
HEFA #5
MAAC #13708

the-mailman

Unread post by the-mailman » Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:52 pm

Great work, as always.
MAAC: 19887

I never crash, I just create exciting ways to meet the ground. After all, take-offs are desirable, landings are inevitable.

rhyneheimer

Unread post by rhyneheimer » Tue Mar 13, 2018 4:41 pm

"They go between the fuselage and the wing to give a more streamlined appearance to the joint."
True, but the main purpose for fillets is to reduce "interference drag"
Steve Ryan -
HEFA/MAAC pilot, slope soaring fanatic, electric enthusiast -
I am not a drone

retiredVTT

Unread post by retiredVTT » Fri Mar 30, 2018 10:33 pm

Well, after nearly three weeks in the sick bay, it was nice to get back to some progress with the Raven build.

The fuselage is 99% done and is looking pretty cool. There is a pilot to go in yet, and a couple of minor details along with some decals.

Balancing this model might be interesting but the manufacturer thought about this and included a separate compartment at the bottom rear of the fuselage with it's own hatch, just in case some weight has to be added.
Attachments
IMG_6817.JPG
IMG_6815.JPG
IMG_6814.JPG
Bill
HEFA #5
MAAC #13708

astroflyer

Unread post by astroflyer » Sat Mar 31, 2018 7:18 pm

Bill, I had intended to use this build in the MAAC newsletter this month, but it completely slipped from my mediocre memory. I realized with a shock just seeing this now I had forgotten and had sent out the "finished" newsletter last night. I'll use this build next issue. So sorry, there are some nice photos and lots of information here.

retiredVTT

Unread post by retiredVTT » Sun Apr 01, 2018 12:47 am

No problem Al, I'll get the wings on her now, to complete the picture.
Bill
HEFA #5
MAAC #13708

retiredVTT

Unread post by retiredVTT » Thu Apr 05, 2018 6:18 pm

Nice sunny afternoon today..good for some outdoor photos!
Attachments
IMG_6825.JPG
IMG_6822.JPG
Img_6820.jpg
Bill
HEFA #5
MAAC #13708

ala722

Unread post by ala722 » Tue Jan 21, 2020 2:55 pm

I understand this is an older forum post / build. But I am very curious about the mentioned main
gear being replaced with a taller carbon fiber part. Any information regarding these (like brand,
source and part number) would be VERY helpful. The stock gear is far too short to look even close
to scale.

Thanks.

Arnold

retiredVTT

Unread post by retiredVTT » Tue Jan 21, 2020 6:51 pm

ala722 wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 2:55 pm
I understand this is an older forum post / build. But I am very curious about the mentioned main
gear being replaced with a taller carbon fiber part. Any information regarding these (like brand,
source and part number) would be VERY helpful. The stock gear is far too short to look even close
to scale.

Thanks.

Arnold
Hi Arnold,

I got your PM, so I'll answer your other questions in a more detailed reply....but with regard to your above post.....I can only advise you to shop the Chinese market for "tall CF landing gear" . I had ordered this one piece gear for another model where I would have to cut the gear into two pieces because that model had a more narrow fuselage. I was advised by a long time member that this would severely weaken the gear, so I held off, and when the Raven came along, and after reading the comment by David Ashby (RCM&E review of July 2011) that this model needed taller gear, this gear was the perfect fit.
The link to Ashby's review can be found here: https://www.rcflight.se/pdf/pdf.aspx?a07=155

good luck,

Bill
Bill
HEFA #5
MAAC #13708