Western Aero Design 2018

Post here about current projects being worked on.
Beavertail

Western Aero Design 2018

Unread post by Beavertail » Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:30 pm

Hello All :)
Here I am once again this year with this years plane for all your viewing pleasure :) The report is not finished yet so ill hold off on sharing the details till the report is finalized :) But feel free to ask me anything! I was head of engine design as well as tail design as well so I know these areas best. But I most details on the fuse and wing as well so ask away :)
Heres a quick screenshot of the CAD drawing. Will post better Pics when I get a chance!
Attachments
Untitled.jpeg
beavertail (gary :P)

Tom B T-28

Re: Western Aero Design 2018

Unread post by Tom B T-28 » Fri Jan 26, 2018 3:37 pm

Interesting Gary! I look forward to seeing pictures of the completed project and maybe even a video of your flight as you posted last year! Good luck to you and your group!
Tom

Beavertail

Unread post by Beavertail » Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:40 pm

Final Report is Done! we have just got all our parts laser cut and Carbon Fibre custom made :) Building started today!!! :D

Report is too big to upload here so heres a google drive link to view! let me know if this link doesn't work :)

https://drive.google.com/file/d/10CJiVo ... sp=sharing

Gary W

Tom B T-28

Unread post by Tom B T-28 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:21 pm

Hey Gary,
No problem accessing the report! Great Job! Now can you come over and explain it to me? :lol:
Best of luck with your project!
Tom

JohnOSullivan

Unread post by JohnOSullivan » Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:20 pm

Gary:
I've gone through your report on the latest design and compared it to last year's model and although I am no theoretical aerodynamicist, I have enough empirical aerodynamic background to recognise a good design. I believe the latest design is far superior to last year's model, both in construction and layout. Last years wing section was too high lift and high drag and the Eppler section which you are using this year will certainly improve performance. Your spar layout and fuselage carbon boom an tail layout are much improved. All ready for the battle -- Good luck.
John
MAAC #5401 L
MACI (Ireland) IRL#26

Beavertail

Unread post by Beavertail » Fri Feb 16, 2018 7:35 am

Thanks Tom! aha theres a lot of technical stuff done on this plane that even I have no idea what it is! makes my head spin sometimes with the amount of numbers there are!! lol

Hey John! thanks for the feedback! One of the goals this year was to minimize drag in the airfoil as well as lighten the weight of the aircraft as much as possible as the plane last year was extremely overweight (without payloads). By using the square tube design we hope to minimize a lot of weight especially in the tail area of the aircraft. As well one of the major problems we encountered last year was the interfaces between the wing and fuse and tail and fuse, which is another reason we decided to go with the carbon square tube as the basis of the aircraft!!

Beavertail

Unread post by Beavertail » Fri Feb 16, 2018 7:41 am

BUILD HAS STARTED ! tail has been built and ready for monokote :) hit some small complications in CAD for the landing gear mounts but I believe it has been sorted and the main wing is slowly but surely getting built!

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1FGpO1n ... sp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/16CRjy3 ... sp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1xPESHu ... sp=sharing

saboo

Unread post by saboo » Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:14 am

Good Day BeaverTail

I tried to go to those links. They are locked and require specific permission.

You may want to have the permission changed for those particular pages, so they are accessible to everyone. Or not, as your competitors, on other teams may want to spy on your efforts.

Your goals are admirable and very ambitious.

I tried to find a copy of the major article / textbook you referred to in doing your design analysis. One expensive book!

All the best.
Nothing like the smell of electrons in the morning ;-)

Tom B T-28

Unread post by Tom B T-28 » Sat Feb 17, 2018 3:11 pm

Hi Gary,
I had no problem opening the 3 links and was able to see the progress you are making in those photos! Thanks for sharing!
Tom

retiredVTT

Unread post by retiredVTT » Sun Feb 18, 2018 12:22 am

I, also, was able to view the pics.....nice to follow the progress Gary..!

Tom, nice to hear from you..!
Bill
HEFA #5
MAAC #13708