NEMESIS - from RocHobby, a sub of FMS

Post here about current projects being worked on.
retiredVTT

NEMESIS - from RocHobby, a sub of FMS

Unread post by retiredVTT » Mon Nov 06, 2017 5:53 pm

Another birthday...another aircraft; this year it's the NEMESIS from RocHobby, a subsidiary of FMS.

I was quite impressed with the unboxing, smooth foam construction, retracts and split flaps, six screws hold it together....no gluing..!

Here are 2 stock file photos.

Bill
Attachments
s-l16000.jpg
s-l1600.jpg
Last edited by retiredVTT on Tue Nov 07, 2017 12:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bill
HEFA #5
MAAC #13708

retiredVTT

Re: NEMESIS - from RocHobby a sub of FMS

Unread post by retiredVTT » Mon Nov 06, 2017 6:54 pm

So I do the maiden on Sunday last, with a more than strong wind and it wants to nose over on takeoff on our semi grass field, so I hold in lots of up elevator and gun her, and she's off to the races within a short distance. A few circuits of the field to get familiar and then I realize that the gear is still down, so lets get that up, another few circuits...time to try the flaps....wow, she ballons upward big time, pick the flaps up and forget about them for this run....ok let's open her up for one low pass down center field...yup definitely moves...couple of homesick angel runs followed by spilt S's and the four minute timer goes off so let's get this new bird down, because as we all know...landings are mandatory..!

Well, I almost forgot to lower the gear, so after getting the green light for the gear, I miss the first attempt, so it's a go around, and then after getting a so so landing, she noses over and that big 10x10 prop bites the ground and something doesn't look right..! It would appear that the motor mount broke, but on further inspection I see two of the four screws holding the motor to the mount completely out and held to the outside of the motor by the motor magnets..!

Needless to say, I was not impressed to think that the mount was that flimsy, and upon further inspection on the bench was pleased to find that the motor mount is actually quite substantial; however the four screws attaching the motor to the mount where undersized. They were 2.5mm in diameter and three of the four had pulled out. I replaced them all with 3mm diameter screws, which torque into the plastic holders much better. Although the mount is plastic it has some depth to it as the pictures show, so I expect it will hold up. Time will tell..!

They really make these small plane retracts for smooth surface runways, so likely that will be the next cause for concern..!

Bill
Attachments
Img_6722xx.jpg
Img_6723xx.jpg
Img_6724xx.jpg
Img_6725xx.jpg
Bill
HEFA #5
MAAC #13708