Page Aviation 80"Cub build

Post here about current projects being worked on.
retiredVTT

Re: Page Aviation 80"Cub build

Unread post by retiredVTT » Tue Jun 28, 2016 10:01 pm

Excellent idea Steve. I never mastered the air brush; even bought a compressor and a cheap brush...maybe that was the problem, the cheap brush. However, you've given me the idea now, so if I can't get it done myself, the next best thing would be to supply the paint to someone who can airbrush..!
I'll give it another go sometime soon.

thanks,
Bill
Bill
HEFA #5
MAAC #13708

retiredVTT

Unread post by retiredVTT » Thu Jul 21, 2016 10:30 pm

So I'm putting the finishing touches on the Cub to make it somewhat scale to a picture I found on the "net.

The actual plane is from the land of the Swiss. I picked it because it would be simple to replicate the model as "stand off scale" ...which means stand back 20 feet when viewing it..!

Here are some pictures of the real thing.

Bill
Attachments
PA-18 Swiss3.jpg
PA-18 Swiss.jpg
PA-18 Swiss5.jpg
Bill
HEFA #5
MAAC #13708

retiredVTT

Unread post by retiredVTT » Thu Jul 21, 2016 10:36 pm

...and these are my finishing touches. I put the "swiss decal" on the rudder instead of the vertical fin, because the covering on the fin is "flaired" into the fuselage and has no actual structure behind it. The "blue" wing tips will have to wait until I get the courage to air brush the covering.
The decals are from Callie Graphics and all they needed was a picture and size requirement and were only US$23.00

Bill
Attachments
IMG_5746.JPG
IMG_5743.JPG
Bill
HEFA #5
MAAC #13708

retiredVTT

Unread post by retiredVTT » Thu Jul 21, 2016 10:44 pm

A short video of the lighting system.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qEcEKYU ... e=youtu.be

Bill
Bill
HEFA #5
MAAC #13708

retiredVTT

Unread post by retiredVTT » Mon Jul 25, 2016 8:44 pm

Last Sunday, at the Avon fun fly, in about 31 degrees C temperature, the decals on the wing top started to curl at the edges.

I sent an email to Callie Graphics and got this reply...

Hi Bill,
So glad you like them! Your flying buddy is correct, SolarTex usually does need a clear coat sprayed on before the graphics are applied. This will help give them graphics a much smoother surface to adhere to. You can also put a clear coat on top after they are applied to further ensure they'll stay where they belong! I'll go ahead and get some free replacements right out to you so you can replace the peeling insignias.
Thanks!
Callie

On 7/25/2016 12:49 PM, Bill Foster wrote:
Hello again,
I am very pleased with the quality of the decals I received from you. Just have one question.
Yesterday in the hot sun the 6 inch circle decals on the wing started to curl at the edges. The wing material that the decals are applied to is SOLARTEX from the Solarfilm family. Do you have a suggestion to cure this, or should I just simply cover the wing on days when the temperature is very warm. I did have another flyer suggest that this wing material, which is a polyester weave, should have a sealer applied under the decal area, before applying the decal.

thanks,
Bill

So nice to have the support from Callie Graphics; but I'm not really surprised. Over the last dozen years I've seen this over and over, from suppliers within this hobby. They stand behind both their products and their customers.

Bill
Bill
HEFA #5
MAAC #13708

retiredVTT

Unread post by retiredVTT » Wed Oct 12, 2016 3:36 pm

So here we are a few months later. I got around to removing the top of wing decals, applying a layer of water based poly-urethane and applying the new set of decals received from Callie so that should eliminate the decals peeling in the hot sun.

The Cub now has a dozen flights on it and behaves well. This past Saturday I flew it from the asphalt runway at Shearwater, and started getting use to the flaps. It slows to a crawl with full flaps (at high altitude) with no dreaded reaction as the flaps are deployed.

So far so good..!

Bill
Attachments
IMG_5916.JPG
Bill
HEFA #5
MAAC #13708

retiredVTT

Unread post by retiredVTT » Sat Mar 04, 2017 1:44 pm

An update regarding the Cub landing gear.

The original wire landing gear was not taking to kindly to the grass landings that I was making resulting in having to be re-bent back into shape. I went looking for a replacement, preferably an "articulating" type of shock absorbing gear that would not break the bank..!

I thought I had found a reasonably priced replacement with the gear from a 15cc Eflite Carbon Cub, http://www.horizonhobby.com/carbon-cub-15cc-arf-han5065 , until after I purchased it... it was evident that the four main mounting brackets were not included, but could be obtained by purchasing the entire "hardware package" for the Cub; which basically increased the total cost by 70%. It was one of those "gotchaa" moments, however there is a pile of other items in the hardware package that will get used down the road.

I found that to get a decent fit on this Cub, which is slightly smaller than the Eflite Cub, I had to modify the length of the shock absorbing links. Then there was the matter of opening up the bottom and installing a second mounting plate 3.5 inches to the rear of the front mounting plate. Lastly the aluminum frames that were covered in a silver covering had to be recovered in the "olive drab" Solartex covering to match the fuselage. Some additional minor touches still have to be done, but overall I'm pleased with the result. The width of this gear is much wider than the original, and is approx. 15 inches wheel to wheel.

Here's a few pics of the old and the new gear.

Bill
Attachments
IMG_5439.JPG
IMG_5445.JPG
IMG_6482.JPG
IMG_6484.JPG
Bill
HEFA #5
MAAC #13708

Tom B T-28

Unread post by Tom B T-28 » Sun Mar 05, 2017 7:30 am

Looks good Bill! Nice upgrade.
Tom

retiredVTT

Unread post by retiredVTT » Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:22 pm

Wow..I find it incredible that this "build thread" has been viewed 10,044 times since it was started back in Nov of 2015.
I had not visited the thread since January 2018 and the count then was 7815; so even with no activity it continues to garner interest.
I guess the venerable "ole Cub" is still as popular as ever..!
Bill
HEFA #5
MAAC #13708