ElectroStreak build..

Post here about current projects being worked on.
retiredVTT

Re: ElectroStreak build..

Unread post by retiredVTT » Sat Jan 14, 2012 1:01 am

..and it was written that "the two shall become one"...and so it came to pass, and it was a good thing..!

Bill
Attachments
IMG_2734.JPG
IMG_2735.JPG
Bill
HEFA #5
MAAC #13708

bertrum

Unread post by bertrum » Sat Jan 14, 2012 8:54 am

Bill your build looks great. I am looking forward to seeing this bird take shape and fly.
Tim Osborne
MAAC 21305

retiredVTT

Unread post by retiredVTT » Sat Jan 14, 2012 4:47 pm

bertrum wrote:Bill your build looks great. I am looking forward to seeing this bird take shape and fly.

..thanks Tim, I'm hopefull that it will be a good performer.

I'm going to try a couple of different things with the build.
Hope to use 1/32" ply for the fuselage...and a different type of tail feather construction, that should result in stronger but lighter joints.
And for landing gear, I'll probably try the shock absorbing type of gear used on some of the Stevens-Aero models. This way you can easily remove the gear....and if you do use it and have a rough landing it flexes rather than ripping out a bottom plate.

I think I did the right thing by building the wing FIRST....I'm pleased to have it nearly finished.
If I were to do it again, I would look hard at redesigning it so it could be built from the start as a one piece wing. It is more difficult to build two halves of a tapered wing and then expect that when you join them they are going to line up perfectly. This wing continually challanged me to keep it straight in so many different directions.

Bill
Last edited by retiredVTT on Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bill
HEFA #5
MAAC #13708

Entropist

Unread post by Entropist » Sun Jan 15, 2012 4:33 pm

Bill,
I'm claiming these colours. The covering was a bit painful, mainly because of my inexperience. Time to get serious about mounting the servos next.
P1000180.JPG
John
John W.
HEFA
MAAC

retiredVTT

Unread post by retiredVTT » Sun Jan 15, 2012 8:54 pm

I like it John, should be quite easy to see from a distance when making the big turn..!

What on the bottom of the wing..?

Bill
Bill
HEFA #5
MAAC #13708

Ghost Flyer

Unread post by Ghost Flyer » Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:30 am

retiredVTT wrote:Hey, I want to thank AC for his Xmas gift, delivered the afternoon of the 24th.

I am thrilled to see my Hyperion Extra in flight, every time I check my 2012 Calendar, hanging above my workbench..!

Bill

Hi Bill,

I'm glad you like it. :) It's too nice a picture just to be sitting on my SD card. I have plenty from that day, along with some very cool slow-mo videos, including one of Rocketman flying his mcpx inverted, which I'll post somewhere, just when I get the time. In the meantime, here is a close up of your picture.

Cheers,
AC
Attachments
cropped 27%
cropped 27%
Cropped to 100%
Cropped to 100%
Andrew C.

retiredVTT

Unread post by retiredVTT » Thu Jan 26, 2012 11:05 pm

Time for an update.....there was no 1/32" ply in a 12" x 48" size available at the two main local shops that carry this stuf so the fuselage is being constructed of balsa and it turns out that 36" long sheets do the job for one piece sides.

So after tracing the plan and making two sides, making up the two principal formers from ply, and attaching the longerons, and balsa triangle stock to the edges of the sides..it was time to join all these parts together.

From there the motor installation was laid out, a 3/16" ply firewall was installed along with a balsa front end, and it was time to see what it would look like with a 8" prop and spinner.

Bill
Attachments
IMG_2769.JPG
IMG_2770.JPG
IMG_2771.JPG
IMG_2777.JPG
Bill
HEFA #5
MAAC #13708

retiredVTT

Unread post by retiredVTT » Thu Jan 26, 2012 11:31 pm

When building the wing I added a thicker tip rib and embeded a couple of 4/40 blind nuts. I have these SFG's (side force generators..!) left over from a Funtana X that I may attach to the wing tips to see how they work.

The elevator and rudder servos were placed toward the rear of the fuselage but still require pushrods in the 16" range.

The rudder pushrod I'm using is a Sullivan Nyrod tube within a tube setup because it protrudes up through the top, at the front of the stab.
To install this required making the hole, using a rat-tailed file to elongate the hole, flexing the outer tube into position, making sure the inner pushrod moves freely and securing the outer tube with CA and baking powder.

The elevator pushrod is a nice straight run of cf tube with wire ends.

Bill
Attachments
IMG_2809.JPG
IMG_2812.JPG
IMG_2810.JPG
IMG_2815.JPG
Bill
HEFA #5
MAAC #13708

retiredVTT

Unread post by retiredVTT » Thu Jan 26, 2012 11:35 pm

..more pics,

Bill
Attachments
IMG_2806.JPG
IMG_2801.JPG
IMG_2802.JPG
Bill
HEFA #5
MAAC #13708

astroflyer

Unread post by astroflyer » Fri Jan 27, 2012 9:53 am

That looks great Bill. nostalgia! takes me back a number of years. Thanks for that.

I think you were lucky there is no suitable ply for the sides. balsa is more than adequate for that little speedster.

I see you have a nice little opening under the spinner to scoop up the worms. :lol: I found several way down the fuselage a few times. :lol:

the e-streak was my first electric airplane and while I can't be certain, was probably the first e-plane in nova scotia, maybe even the first in atlantic canada. battery power was frowned upon back then. :lol:

if you make any low inverted passes, don't pull up. that was my misake. :lol: luckily I had lots of fun with it before that dumb move.