WORKSHOP COMFORTS..

Post here about current projects being worked on.
retiredVTT

WORKSHOP COMFORTS..

Unread post by retiredVTT » Tue Oct 12, 2010 1:55 pm

You want a good sized table or bench upon which to assemble models..and I like a separate flat "building board" if I'm building a balsa kit. Large tables can have raised and hollow sections but a 42"x12" dead flat building board will handle most of the balsa builds I have done.

This is not required for a foam kit as well as some of the newer laser cut kits that actually are cut so accurate that they pull themselves into alignment, AS you are building them. The Stevens-Aero kits are an example of this. Expensive they are, but the laser cutting is so accurate that you'll be wearing a silly grin as your building.

But I digress..(love that expression, it's used as an excuse for losing my train of thought..!!)

The reason for this post was to bring attention to another definite requirement in the "hangar"....HEAT..!

My setup is in my attached garage and although it has an 8 foot electric heater on the back wall, under the eight foot bench, I don't use it because I figure it would be so inefficient at trying to heat the entire 20x20 garage.

Instead, several years back, I mounted a radient heater ABOVE the bench along with a separate fleurescent light, and this heater has two orange glowing tubes...so you get either 750watts or 1500 watts beaming down on you and warming everything on the bench...including the top of your head. It's the same as standing in the sun in August.

You back off 10 feet and it can be cool...but at the bench...toasty..!

My heater was around $80. at LeeVally (mfg was MARVIN) but they have come down in price and this week I see them listed at Princess Auto for $59.

So there, I could have said that in the opening sentence....but when retired, you tend to ramble..!

Bill
Bill
HEFA #5
MAAC #13708

retiredVTT

Re: WORKSHOP COMFORTS..

Unread post by retiredVTT » Tue Jan 31, 2012 2:02 am

Just an update...to actually show the heater that I referred to in the above post.

Has been an excellent source of inexpensive warmth ...usally runs with just one of the two 750 watt units.

Bill
Attachments
Img_2800.jpg
Bill
HEFA #5
MAAC #13708

steve

Re: WORKSHOP COMFORTS..

Unread post by steve » Tue Jan 31, 2012 7:08 pm

You are right Bill, Warmth in the workshop is ideal for building on these cold days....but for me......a few hours out in the garage working on planes and for some reason, I just gotta dance. Laying down some vinyl on the phono player and a few minutes under the disco ball and I am good to go.....

Workshop Comfort - Heat, Disco ball

lol :D :D

steve
Attachments
IMG_2395.JPG
Steve