Ordering from the US vs Canada for SuperFly

Discussions related to Halifax, Nova Scotia.
Ghost Flyer

Ordering from the US vs Canada for SuperFly

Unread post by Ghost Flyer » Wed Oct 22, 2008 5:21 pm

Hi Everyone,

I have a question for the folks who have recently ordered SuperFlies / HyperFleas. With the Canadian dollar dropping in value (a lot) almost every day now, I'm thinking that I ought to get my Super Fly or Hyper Flea in a hurry, before the dollar drops even more. Has anyone been charged a duty fee or some extra handling fee on their recent purchases of these planes from the States? If not, I'll order the Hyper Flea with the ESC from Texas. If there were duty and other fees, and if it was significant, then I'll consider ordering a SuperFly from Leading Edge Hobbies in Ontario. They charge $20 more for their SuperFly, but at least I won't have duty or extra handling fees to deal with. I'll still need an ESC though, plus everything else.

Just wondering what experiences people have had.

Thanks,
Andrew
Andrew C.

retiredVTT

Re: Ordering from the US vs Canada for SuperFly

Unread post by retiredVTT » Fri Oct 24, 2008 1:29 am

Andrew, you have got this question posted in a forum titled "Halifax" which looks like it was set up for people to post items that pertain to the city of Halifax. So your question will likely not be seen by many flyers.

Not sure what forum would be the correct one....perhaps under "General Items pertaining to Flying".

Anyway....most companies will not ship the item with a lower value so figure if they ship it at $80US value our guys will convert to $100C and apply a tax of around $14 plus $5. to collect the $14 so $19. total would be about what the postman would ask for. There has been NO duty on model items since around 1979. We had several Canadian organizations point out to the Gov't that these items were virtually not produced in this country so duty should not be applied.

Now if the item coming in from the US is valued around $50 or less, it quite often comes to the door with no charges attached to it. Few years ago it was $20. but the limit seems to have risen lately. It may just be a factor of who's hands it passes through at Customs.

Bill
Bill
HEFA #5
MAAC #13708

AndrewS

Re: Ordering from the US vs Canada for SuperFly

Unread post by AndrewS » Fri Oct 24, 2008 9:33 am

When I got my Superfly from Texas back in May it cost me $20 at the post office. That was in addition to the shipping charges from SuperFlyRC.

AndrewS
Andrew Smith,
HEFA 3
MAAC 76250