New guy looking for info

Discussions related to electric helicopters.
Toneman

New guy looking for info

Unread post by Toneman » Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:58 pm

Hi I am interested in taking up this hobby can anyone help me out?

Thanks,

Tony

retiredVTT

Re: New guy looking for info

Unread post by retiredVTT » Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:23 am

Yes Tony, we have people here that can help you...!

So ask your questions,

Bill
Bill
HEFA #5
MAAC #13708

Toneman

Unread post by Toneman » Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:02 pm

Hi Bill,

Thanks for the reply well I have a ton of questions so is there a chance you guys are having a meeting soon or can I meet someone for a coffee and a chat? When do you guys start flying in the spring and where do you fly out of?

Regards,

Tony

retiredVTT

Unread post by retiredVTT » Wed Mar 06, 2013 4:35 pm

When weather is decent..(meaning low winds) we fly weekend mornings from Shannon Park, Dartmouth..around 8AM

Bill
Bill
HEFA #5
MAAC #13708

Metalhead

Unread post by Metalhead » Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:46 pm

Hi Tony,

Have you flown before? What type of planes do you like?

People fly at different times at the shannon Park field, some of us fly as soon as the sun comes up and some fly after work.

Of course the weekends are busy if the weather is good.

Look forward to seeing you at the field...

Brian

RocketManRC

Unread post by RocketManRC » Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:49 pm

Hi Tony,

The best thing to do is have a test flight before you decide on anything and we have several trainer systems to accomplish that in a low stress way.

As Bill said we fly at Shannon Park on weekend mornings and also have a field at Porters lake. A test flight could be arranged there as well. The only glitch for that first flight is the weather. It really has to be light winds.

Once you decide you want to continue then if you join HEFA (and therefore MAAC) we provide instruction to get you to the point where you can fly on your own. I posted this in 2011 but it is still valid (although I need to update it for this summer):

viewtopic.php?f=47&t=1834

So as the weather improves come out to Shannon Park on the weekends and make sure you tell people that you are looking for assistance.

Rick
Rick MacDonald
May you live in interesting times!

Toneman

Unread post by Toneman » Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:34 pm

Hi Guys,

Just got in from town and see your replies so thanks for that.

To answer your Qs I have not flown RC aircraft before but I think I would like to fly helicopters. Is it possible to start on helos or should I try fixed wing first?

I can see that high wind conditions could cause major problems especially for a rookie.

So do you fly in the sports field in Shannon Park and the old Porters Lake Airport?

I will come out as soon as I can and I will read the link from Rick to see the info in it then if I have Qs I will ask.

One other question do you guys buy your equipment locally or on line?

Regards,

Tony

Metalhead

Unread post by Metalhead » Thu Mar 07, 2013 7:26 am

Good Morning Tony,

As Rick mentioned, the best thing to do is to come by the field and try out the trainer.

Rick taught me how to fly, so i can attest that he is a mighty patient person with nerves of steel!... :lol:

I wouldn't recommend buying anything until you try it out...i did this and it was a waste of money piled up in a heap on the field...take your time and go the trainer route and you will have a much more enjoyable experience.

I have been flying for a couple of years now and tried helicopters once...cost me quite a bit of money....some people can do it and some can't. I'm strongly in the "can't" group. :(

But once you learn the basics of flying and want to go into helicopters, there are lots of guys that can help you out.

See you at the field,

Brian

rhyneheimer

Unread post by rhyneheimer » Thu Mar 07, 2013 1:26 pm

hi tony,
you will find yourself in good hands - HEFA always encourages new flyers.

for sure, time spent on trainers and simulators is immensly valuable, both to learn how to fly, and to determine what your preferred niche is in the rc world.
Steve Ryan -
HEFA/MAAC pilot, slope soaring fanatic, electric enthusiast -
I am not a drone

Toneman

Unread post by Toneman » Thu Mar 07, 2013 1:36 pm

Thanks for all the replies I will come out to the field as soon as I get back from the states in a few weeks. Looking forward to meeting everyone and testing some of the trainers patience and nerves.

Tony