JR 9303 with Real Flight

Discussions related to electric helicopters.
steve

JR 9303 with Real Flight

Unread post by steve » Fri Jan 28, 2011 9:24 pm

I need some help from the helicopter guys here.......

I've hooked up my heli radio to my interlink on G3.5. It nows shows up as a new controller that I can calibrate and map the channels however, it will not me select the right channels to the right function. I select throttle for channel 1, Roll to channel 2, and so on. When I save it, these settings are changed and it seems as if I am missing something basic to Heli's.

As an example, when i move throttle, channel 6 also moves (as seen from the mapping screen) but the model type is HELI not ACRO. It looks like dual aileron servo on a fixed wing but I dont know why it is happening for a heli.

The JR 9303 I have is a heli radio with all the heli switches and settings I assume you would expect for that wing type

Thanks

Steve
Last edited by steve on Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve

Dirt Torpedo

Re: JR 9303 with Real Flight

Unread post by Dirt Torpedo » Fri Jan 28, 2011 9:44 pm

I don't know squat about RF or the interlink controller, but I can tell you that the heli models on Spektrum/JR will be spitting out throttle channel (#1) and pitch channel (#6) in response to the left stick - this assuming that you are using the 1-servo 90-degree swash type on your heli model. Aileron and Elevator will respond in a straightforward manner.

Pitch and throttle channels are often configured with curves to operate differently with different responses. Pitch curves and throttle curves will probably take some time to fully digest.

If you had chosen as 120-degree ccpm swash type then you would see something even freakier - elevator, aileron, pitch, and throttle would all move in response to left stick!

Dirt Torpedo

Unread post by Dirt Torpedo » Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:02 pm

Collective pitch curves on real helis are often set up with a little bit of negative pitch (to force the down issue) and a lot more positive pitch to climb out under load. On the model this would be associated with "normal" or scale flight configuration, and the left stick could well be set to move the collective pitch from -3 degrees at low stick to +8 degrees at high stick, and perhaps 0 degrees at mid-stick. This is accomplished with curves that effectively change your endpoints for the collective pitch (or ccpm mix as the case may be).

Collective pitch on 3D helis are generally set up with +10 to +12 degrees of positive pitch, and the same amount of negative pitch. Pretty straightforward curve.

Throttle on real helis is generally controlled by a governor, sometimes this is the case on models, but that's a relatively recent development. The "normal" or scale flight configuration would have a throttle curve that is set to 0% at low stick, quickly ramps up to a reasonable power level, and then ramps up a little more to full power. The "idle-up" configuration just arranges to have the motor running at speed with low-stick, and power is removed by hitting a "throttle hold" switch;this is so that you can have power to the blades with negative pitch, which is required when flying inverted. V-curves will often be used for "idle-up", all this means is that power level is reduced at mid-stick, so that the no-load zero-pitch condition does not cause the head to over-speed and self-destruct. Some folks run flat throttle curves to have full-power regardless of stick position.

I've flown all of these modes and prefer running my Blade 400 with +/-11 degrees of collective pitch with the ESC governing at a constant 2800 RPM. Larger 500-class helis might run 2500-2700 RPM, yet larger 600-700 class birds might run 1800-2200 RPM.
Last edited by Dirt Torpedo on Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

steve

Unread post by steve » Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:08 pm

Thanks Dirt.......

I appreciate your responses and the time it has taken to do them. Perhaps it is better to bring this radio to the field and hopefully you can show me some of the basic points to consider when setting up.

I will also take Ricks advice on viewing the videos on Heli Freak so I can appreciate the "lingo".

I am getting a bad feeling that I may get a helicopter.... :?

Thanks again !

Steve
Steve

steve

Unread post by steve » Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:15 pm

I am reading your responses Dirt and it is clear you have a passion and extensive knowledge of these Helis....

I will make sure I bring this radio to the field and hopefully take a bit of your time

Thks

Steve
Steve

Dirt Torpedo

Unread post by Dirt Torpedo » Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:26 pm

Would love to explain it "hands-on" but I'm not sure when I can get out to the field again. This weekend is a write off. Forecast is horrible next week.

Fortunately the club has a number of folks who have managed to get past this part of the learning curve!

RocketManRC

Unread post by RocketManRC » Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:11 am

Oh no Steve, you are heading for the dark side! Does this mean I have to start preparing for heli combat???

I am not very familiar with JR radios but I can certainly help by explaining what the heli functions are and show you how my 450 works.

Rick
Rick MacDonald
May you live in interesting times!

astroflyer

Unread post by astroflyer » Sat Jan 29, 2011 9:57 am

assuming you want to use the transmitter to just fly in the sim....

and not overly familiar with either Jr or real flight as I use phoenix....

all heli radios have a setting to choose the type of swashplate mixing. One of these settings will give you NO swashplate mixing. you should look for that.

also the simulator itself sholuld have similar settings where you can set up a heli or plane in the software, rather than the radio. (my experience is with phoenix)

my suggestion would be to use your transmitter in acro mode and if you want anything related to helis set that up in the software.

Road507

Unread post by Road507 » Sat Jan 29, 2011 6:41 pm

Steve,
I have G3.5 and it looks like you will need to set you radio to ACRO and not Heli. Here are the settings for the inter link controller so just set it to match your radio ie trottle on interlink is the same as futaba channel 3 you would need to set it to channel 1 for your radio

Best I can tell you would need to set the channel mapping as follows:

Channel 1 trottle
Channel 2 Aileron or Roll in G3.5
Channel 3 Elev or Pitch in G3.5
Channel 4 Ruddler or Yaw in G3.5
Channel 8 is set to idle up switch channel on your radio. I am not sure what channel that is on your radio

The interlink I have is set as follows if this helps

Channel 1 is Roll or Aileron channel on radio
Channel 2 is Pitch or Elevator channel on radio
Channel 3 is Trottle on radio
Channel 4 is Yaw or Rudder channel on radio
Channel 6 is set to Knob
Channel 7 is set to smoke
Channel 8 is set to 3 position switch which is the same switch for Idle up one and two on your radio

Hope this helps you!!

Rhoady

steve

Unread post by steve » Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:37 pm

Thanks Guys for all your responses !

I am starting to think about helis and have looked at the link to the one Gary has and it got me to thinking. I have been using the interlink and the simulator for some time flying helis and as much as I have been resisting the temptation, I think it is time to seriously consider moving up from my blade cx coaxial. I tried to attatch the 9303 heli radio, that I gave to my boy Michael, to the interlink but just couldnt get it to "map". I understood from the other posts, that I need to do abit of reading and look at the videos Rick has recommended in another topic before I get to far in over my head.....

Rhoady......Thanks a million for the setup. I am trying it now !

Steve
Steve