Funcopter or Honey Bee after Phoenix Flt Sim

Discussions related to electric helicopters.
Canuck4ever

Funcopter or Honey Bee after Phoenix Flt Sim

Unread post by Canuck4ever » Sun Aug 22, 2010 2:14 pm

Multiplex Funcopter seems to be a great beginner's (read me) model. Not a lot of Youtube videos on Funcopter yet but here is one for durability

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFD9Pbrk0W0

Funcopter also carried by Great Hobbies in PEI and Tower Hobbies (over priced). RC Wings in Halifax has Multiplex planes but no Funcopter (according to web site inventory). Either way parts would not be hard to get I believe.

As entry level into RC Heli after Phoenix sim I have also looked at ESky Honey Bee CPX or Honey Bee King 3/4 however it appears parts could be difficult (ESKY distributors in Canada are like trying to find buffalo in the Prairies). Intent is NOT to fly in the house but mostly outdoor or in gym.

While Phoenix sim does have a Honey Bee 2 model, there currently is no model for the Funcopter (although I don't think it wil take too long).

Looking at either Spektrum DX6i or DX7 for radio due to DSM2 and dual capability (heli and plane). Intent is mainly sport flying and maybe some scale - NOT 3D (my wife would shoot me ;-)

Thoughts? Does anyone own Funcopter and the Phoenix sim - does HBK2 simulator model closely imitate Funcopter? Any inputs are appreciated.

PS: As stated in intro forum - I used to fly RC nitro planes years ago (30-45 size) w Futuba 7 ch radio. First crack at Electric and helo. I intend on flying at least one Electric scale plane along w helo initially.
Marc "Coyote" Cayouette
----------------------------------------

Remember.....if it fits back in the box you bought it in - it likely won't fly again!

Dirt Torpedo

Re: Funcopter or Honey Bee after Phoenix Flt Sim

Unread post by Dirt Torpedo » Sun Aug 22, 2010 3:17 pm

Marc,

I don't have a funcopter yet but it is on order (I've been waiting ~18 months since it was announced) and have been using Phoenix almost since day one. Don't get hung up on Phoenix having your exact heli model - the simulation fidelity is not so good that it would matter.

Note that governers and the flybarless revolution are starting to make "heli" radios seem silly as the swash servo mixing math is being done in the onboard FBL controllers. For now you can probably get by with your existing radio equipment (for Phoenix and a funcopter) and wait for the radio market to settle down a bit with all the new gear being announced recently: Hitec Aurora 9, JR X9503, JR 11X, Spektrum DX-8, Spektrum DX-10.

Funcopter vids are scarce and mainly uninteresting because: (a) it has only been available for a very short time, (b) the target market is beginners, (c) it's never gonna be an amazing flyer, and (d) the majority of experienced pilots are disinterested and biased by their previous experience - so are more likely to suggest that beginners look at HPFP, BCP, T450 (klones), etc. There is an older fan base from the forefather of the funcopter (Lite Machines Corona), which was originally designed and built in the USA, and they are pretty stoked about the funcopter's arrival. Lite Machines is shifting market focus to DoD and has basically sold the Corona design to Multiplex.

One key benefit with the funcopter is the robustness, great for beginners, and Multiplex's improvements to the original Corona seem to be making it even better. Robustness should equate to way less downtime for backordered parts and repairs, lower operating costs, less need to stock spare parts, and thereby result in faster progression due to lower frustration and fear of crashing. Initial cost may well be higher but I think the return on investment will be much higher as well.

You can order the funcopter locally and will likely get it just as fast and without paying customs or shipping, or shipping insurance. RC Wings is closer to Lunenburg than Halifax. In the HRM, Geoff Davis (MSC - Mighty Small Cars ) and John Hatt (MH - Maritime Hobbies) have relationships with Horizon Hobbies - the North American distributor for Multiplex - and Geoff's prices are the same as Great Hobbies, except no shipping or shipping insurance costs since you can do local pickup over by Shannon Park. Geoff makes weekly orders to Horizon and they show up within the week, not sure about John as I started buying from MSC before MH carried Horizon products. The RR version of the funcopter is in stock at Horizon so you could have it (and a DX-7 & Phoenix if you wanted) by next week, just in time for September membership... the kit version of the functoper is not in stock, so I need to wait until Horizon gets them in and ships them out to their dealers.

I think Geoff is also carrying inexpensive Turnigy LiPo batteries from HobbyKing as well. There may be a nominal markup on those, but at least you don't get dinged with customs, shipping, and wait times if they are in stock.

So what kind of e-plank are you looking at?

PS: if you like scale & 3d then check out this - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-H8AMByOPzM

Canuck4ever

Re: Funcopter or Honey Bee after Phoenix Flt Sim

Unread post by Canuck4ever » Sun Aug 22, 2010 4:49 pm

E Planks - I never called them that before :lol:

I was looking at a small E Cub ARF or larger Multiplex Mentor - again just for sport flying. Something nice and slow until I get comfortable again. I did have a 40 size tail dragger back in the day plus a few high wings. As for heli - I'll likely be aiming for Funcopter or HBK3/4 but will delay a little until more reports come back from Funcopter users. I hate to be at the pointy end of something only to find out I got ripped off due to defects. However, right now it looks like a very promissing heli. You'll have to let me know when you get yours and take it up.

With regards to radios, based on your inputs and having read-in a bit more, I'll stick w Spektrum DX5 that comes with Phoenix sim - that should easily be good for at least 1-2 years and maybe radios will sort themselves out by then. I've got a few nitro kits and engines to sell on Kijiji during next several weeks/months.

Looking at budget and timeline, I will likely delay heli purchase till Christmas (perhaps my Xmas gift if I drop enough hints to my wife - maybe a huge sign on my front lawn). In meantime I'll look for plane for my DX5e radio. Smaller and lighter receiver and servos will also be required as mine are all big and bulky from nitro days. I'll also be putting in lots of sim time - while repairs are part of the hobby, practice makes perfect.

Tks for your inputs - I now have a way ahead and you saved me money - that's worth at least a cold one or two ;-)
Marc "Coyote" Cayouette
----------------------------------------

Remember.....if it fits back in the box you bought it in - it likely won't fly again!