Just one more...

Discussions related to 3D models.
Enforcer

Just one more...

Unread post by Enforcer » Sat Jun 06, 2009 10:31 pm

I went to Maritime Hobbies today to buy a "Y" connector and a few odds and sods... I walked out with this, and all the electrics needed to make it fly. It's my first 3D profile...

http://www.electrifly.com/parkflyers/gpma1132.html

It suggests a 940 kv motor, I bought a 1400 Kv, simply because it was cheap ($25.00) and available. I also went with a 35A ESC. Not needed for this plane, but if I kill it attempting 3D maneuvers, I'll have it available for a bigger plane. I purchased the suggested servos (again, cheap and available at MH. All I need now is a few leads. I have a spare AR6300 Rx which is perfect for this plane.

One question, what kind/size prop would work best with this light plane and the motor I have chosen. The motors max Amp rating is 16. I will be using 3 Cell, 15 C, 1300mAh batteries (they are as small, in size and weight,as the suggested battery).

Thanks Guys!
Murray Wheten

“My philosophy, like color television, is all there in black and white”
Monty Python

retiredVTT

Re: Just one more...

Unread post by retiredVTT » Sat Jun 06, 2009 11:31 pm

Murray, the recommended motor with it's low 950KV used a big ole 11/3.8 slow fly prop which would give a 14 oz plane gobs of torque..and torque is vertical lifting power....as opposed to speed.

I'm afaird the motor you bought will only want an 8/4 or perhaps a 9/4 prop in order to not self distruct from over amping...you will have to try one of these props at the field prior to flying to see what the amp draw is.

That 950 Kv value is quite low...a lot of similar motors in 3D foamies are 1000 to 1200 Kv and they handle 10 and 11" props.

The motor you have might more suit the Hellcat,,,but we will have to test it to be sure.

Bill
Bill
HEFA #5
MAAC #13708

Enforcer

Unread post by Enforcer » Sun Jun 07, 2009 5:25 am

Doh!

Well, I could always swap out the Hellcat motor... it has a 1250 kv rating and is half the size of the new one! What do you think of that solution Bill?
Murray Wheten

“My philosophy, like color television, is all there in black and white”
Monty Python

retiredVTT

Unread post by retiredVTT » Sun Jun 07, 2009 1:51 pm

Yeah ..that might work since the little foamy is about 1/3rd lighter than the big foamy..

Bill
Bill
HEFA #5
MAAC #13708

Metalhead

Unread post by Metalhead » Fri Feb 25, 2011 11:11 am

Hi murray,

Again, an old thread, but i was at MH yesteday looking at this plane as a potential first 3d plane.....do you like the plane? Is it easy to learn with?

how tough is it? are parts available?

thanks,

Brian

yorcram

Unread post by yorcram » Fri Feb 25, 2011 11:23 am

IMO,
This is built light so a light crash will mean repairs. This is not good for wind as it will get pushed around. If you want to start learning 3d, I think a flat foamy would be better as cheaper and easy to repair.
Plane Crazey :D

steve

Unread post by steve » Sat Feb 26, 2011 12:57 am

Brian,

I have had the Silhouette and it is not what I would recommend as a first 3D machine, however that is just my opinion. It flys great, very stable but meant for slow, close in, near to the ground flying. If you are not shaken easily by crashing it and having to make repairs on a "built up" like wing and fuse, then go for it. Chances are that if it is your first highly aerobatic plane, just bring some CA and epoxy with you to the field. We all seem to get acquainted with glue when flying 3D foamies......

I would "HIGHLY" recommend a Hyperflea, and secondly, the Superfly to get used to flying aggressively and training your thumbs. The hyperflea is the more manoeuverable of the 2 IMHO and can be very rewarding even without rudder to get comfortable flying nearar to the ground. They are almost indestructable and are invaluable for training.....IF....you fly it aggressively and even join in the combat which quickly shows you how reaction speed changes with age.... :) I cannot stress how well those planes are for learning if you max out the throws, run them on 3 s and drive them like you hate em. They dont have rudder but you can learn high slow alpha with good throttle control. Most can fly slow harriers upright and inverted quickly with this plane because the fear of crashing is gone

If these are not to your liking then the silhouette it is but as another option, look at the "Super Zooms' from Hacker. They are made of EPP, very tough and very 3d capeable......very nice. The other option is the PARKmaster from Multiplex (?). This is another great plane designed to be very resilient for learning 3d. I have not had this one but have heard the guys at Great hobbies comment on how well it flies....

Failing all of that and if you want a good "thrill" plane,with lots of pucker factor...... then get a Mini Ultra Stick (mus)....!!!!!!!!!!!Good luck

Steve
Steve

Metalhead

Unread post by Metalhead » Sat Feb 26, 2011 9:32 am

Hi Steve,

I certainly don't mind crashing....before i joined this club it was all i could do...lol :lol:

thanks for all of the advice, i will look at the planes you mentioned...

appreciate the input!

Brian