Advanced flight training...

Discussions related to 3D models.
Metalhead

Advanced flight training...

Unread post by Metalhead » Mon Jul 18, 2011 12:10 pm

Hi Everyone,

I'm wondering if there is anyone out there that might be willing to help me out with some advanced 3D flight training?

At the present moment, i'm getting fairly comfortable with my YAK on low rates, and have probably 80-90 flights on low rate with the occasional switch to hight rates.

However this weekend i crashed on high rates because of inexperience...not much damage however.

So, rather than learn this by "trial and error", mostly error, i would love to have an instructor.

Any takers?

Brian

Metalhead

Re: Advanced flight training...

Unread post by Metalhead » Tue Jul 19, 2011 2:09 pm

No takers so far.....

Al you out there?

I would love to know what you know!

Brian

retiredVTT

Unread post by retiredVTT » Tue Jul 19, 2011 5:54 pm

Hi Brian,
This is a tough field to enter...especially after 30..!

I would think the only way you are going to come close to being sucessfull at 3D is via the simulator along with a constant hour a day minimum time period.

I know that the first thing Al preaches is that you must be very fluent in the use of the rudder if you wish to get somewhere with 3D.
Since so many of us do not use the rudder enough it is a major stumpling block in learning 3D movements.

There are several sites as you probably know that give the required stick movements to perform various 3D stunts.....from there it's a matter of training the brain to do them at the correct time.

Most simulator programs include training sessions and show the stick movements in the lower corner. And pushing that red reset button does not cost you one extra cent after you crash..!

Bill
Bill
HEFA #5
MAAC #13708

Dirt Torpedo

?

Unread post by Dirt Torpedo » Tue Jul 19, 2011 6:10 pm

?
Last edited by Dirt Torpedo on Tue Sep 20, 2011 12:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

JMiller

Unread post by JMiller » Tue Jul 19, 2011 7:12 pm

The best tool to learn 3D flying is one of the flat plate Depron Foamies. They have ultra light wing loading and loads of power and control authority to get out of botched manuveurs. They are also fairly cheap and easily repairable (both good things when learning to hover, harrier, rollers etc). The Great Planes electrifly Yak is a good example. Flat foamies are also great at teaching you how to use the rudder (proper rudder and throttle use are key tools to 3D flying).

My current 3D plane of choice is a 3D Hobby Shop 55" Edge and it is a great performer, but would have been difficult to learn basic 3D skills on.

Joe

Metalhead

Unread post by Metalhead » Tue Jul 19, 2011 7:47 pm

First of all, thank you all for bothering to post!

I appreciate the comments from the "vetrans". As you all know, i have only beenflying for 7 months!

however, i think it would be a very good thing if some of you "experienced" pilots give some pointers.

All knowledge is good!

I do spend time on the simulator and live well past the "edge", but honestly i think there is no substitute for a guy (or Girl) standing at your shoulder giving you pointers.
so, again i ask, anyone there to help?

Bill, i know you can!

Brian

Dirt Torpedo

?

Unread post by Dirt Torpedo » Tue Jul 19, 2011 8:55 pm

?
Last edited by Dirt Torpedo on Tue Sep 20, 2011 12:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

RocketManRC

Unread post by RocketManRC » Tue Jul 19, 2011 9:31 pm

Thanks for joining us here Joe!

I think that once you get to the point where you are now Brian you are largely going to be on your own. Similar to the what Joe suggested I have been torturing the Tech One Piaget from HK and that has worked pretty well for me. I know that you bought the Tech One Angel on my recommendation but maybe that hasn't worked out for you?

Also I have been reading everything I can get my hands on and there are some pretty good books available from RC Flight School but you have to buy them directly from the author.

As far as someone standing beside you I am happy to do that but I am not sure I will be that much help except to offer an opinion about what you did wrong!

Rick
Rick MacDonald
May you live in interesting times!

Metalhead

Unread post by Metalhead » Wed Jul 20, 2011 8:05 am

Hi Rick,

The Angel flies pretty good, but contrary to the advertizing, it is far from indestructable!!!

I have managed to destruct it quite well. :lol: I also folded the wings once! windy day.

The foam seems to tear easilly, so maybe i would be better off with a flat foamy as you and Joe are suggesting....if it is similar in size i'll take the gear out of the Angel and put it in the new plane.

Thanks again!

Brian