Ace Seamaster at Avon field

Discussions related to float plane models.
saboo

Ace Seamaster at Avon field

Unread post by saboo » Sat Sep 09, 2023 6:44 pm

Today was a get together at Avon for those who did not attend Greenfield.

An ACE SeaMaster 40 on wheels was there. On a bright, hot, windy day, here is a short video of it taking off.

https://youtu.be/_KJ4PwQS_yo

Regards

Jim H
Nothing like the smell of electrons in the morning ;-)

KevinM

Re: Ace Seamaster at Avon field

Unread post by KevinM » Sat Sep 09, 2023 9:26 pm

Really 4 sec video! those Blackberries don't have much memory! better upgrade to an Iphone!
The secret of flight is to aim at the ground and MISS

saboo

Unread post by saboo » Sun Sep 10, 2023 7:56 am

The phone has 32GB of SD card for videos. Problem is the gmail limit of video size that you can email. So being a lazy old fart, I try to email the videos to myself so they are ready to put on Youtube when I get home. The larger videos have to wait.

Getting an iPhone would be a step backward. Then I would have to learn more iSpeak so that I can understand what words the phone is substituting in my texts. Also apple doesn't have a very smart onscreen keyboard. I can get a capital letter by just holding a key down slightly longer. I can do multiple caps in a row without constantly having to use a shift key.

When I go to edit or add a contact, when in the phone number field you don't have to be skipping back and forth between shift and alt keyboards to enter the data. A BlackBerry knows you are putting in a number. The number, bracket, and dash keys are automatically available without keyboard gymnastics. The reasons why an iPhone suck are many. Too many to list here. Like most apple products they have a terrible and non-intuitive user interface.

There is another more relelvant reason for a short video. Who wants to watch 3 minutes of a plane flying in the distance, so small that it sometimes is filtered out by the video compression done by Youtube. This way you see a plane relatively close and recognizable.

However, the next time I go to the field I will try to remember to take my zoom DSLR. Then I will get longer videos zoomed in close to the plane. So you can get your jollies by watching 3 or 4 minutes of a plane wandering around the sky. Takeoffs and landing are the most challenging and possibly exciting parts of model flying for many people. So I try to keep to the good stuff. Every once in a while a dramatic event happens and you have a 4 second video that is more exciting than the one I posted.

KevinM

Unread post by KevinM » Sun Sep 10, 2023 9:22 am

Did I hit a sore spot? Ha Ha.

saboo

Unread post by saboo » Mon Sep 11, 2023 9:55 pm

Not at all. I have several apple products. They are almost universally the worst performing, over priced, shortest life, products in their class.

Apple is like Microsoft in many respects. They both will stop making products that SUCK, when they start making vacuum cleaners.

Apple's new phone the 15 has been found to have finally addressed the terrible audio when the device is being used as....... wait for it!

A PHONE

The reviews I have read say that they have finally taken steps to fix the audio quality when being used for phone calls. Go figure. Making a phone that might be able to be used as a phone!

Next thing you know they may end the use of iSpeak and actually send a text with what you typed, not what the phone thinks you meant

Lexflyer2022

Unread post by Lexflyer2022 » Wed Sep 13, 2023 12:01 pm

Saboo and Kevin, Thanks for the great posts. I am here laughing my ass off.

I'll be out flying this upcoming weekend. I finally can get my hurricane hunter up up and away. It will fly so high even NASA won't see it, let alone Transpot Canada. :lol:

saboo

Unread post by saboo » Thu Sep 14, 2023 6:31 pm

This entertainment is free. The only reason it is, is because we haven't figured out a way to monetize it. Maybe Kevin and I should start a podcast where we heckle, rant and poke jabs at each other and then fall down laughing at our own behaviour. Or because our knees are so stiff we fall down because they didn't move as well as we thought they would.
Last edited by saboo on Thu Sep 14, 2023 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

saboo

Unread post by saboo » Thu Sep 14, 2023 6:43 pm

Today is a day of mourning. It is a very dark day. The camera on my BlackBerry died. I dropped it once too often. Very sad. The phone started shipping in June 2013. It was a good run if I say so myself. I could use my Q10, but I relcutantly have to bid my BB good bye.

Have just spent the last 40 minutes turning off all the Google features that inundate you with unwanted adverts, spyware and intrusions. Now to spend the next several hours entering the contact information. It is surprising how many of my contacts have died.

Except for the miserable keyboard and needing to constantly use alternate keyboard mappings to get question marks or number, I have almost got my Android phone working as well as my late departed BB. RIP.

Like loosing a favourite airplane in the corn field and Kevin not being around to use his drone for SAR missions.

To top it off and to memorialize the occasion maybe we should meet at the field Saturday afternoon to see who can fly in the high winds. We can take lots of before pictures, and of course there will likely be no after pcitures.

KevinM

Unread post by KevinM » Sat Sep 16, 2023 11:40 pm

RIP BB you won't be missed 'by me'. But Saboo may find an Android a step up in performance.

Yes I'm poking the Bear!

Kevin