Polaris Seaplane in SAR scheme

Discussions related to float plane models.
lawndart

Polaris Seaplane in SAR scheme

Unread post by lawndart » Mon Jul 25, 2011 9:41 am

Here's my just-finished SAR Polaris. Flew it twice last weekend then spent this one waiting for paint to dry, so I'll be interested to see the impact of a half-ounce of paint and labels in the air...

The markings are Avery clear inkjet shipping labels cleared with lacquer then a coat of clear Future acrylic over the whole plane. I used Krylon Fusion for the yellow, very carefully... That stuff has an appetite for Depron! The red and black are craft acrylics, thinned and run through my new airbrush. The painting went fine but masking less-so, with a ton of bleed-through at the edges.
------d-a-v-e---------------- >}-

retiredVTT

Re: Polaris Seaplane in SAR scheme

Unread post by retiredVTT » Mon Jul 25, 2011 10:05 am

Looks great Dave....I would have used Krylon H2O..my last experience with the eatable Krylon on top of fiberglassed foam led to major problems as the solvent found a couple of spots to eat away at....madning to say the least.

I have this kit still unbuilt...so I will be following your comments on performance.

Every time I spray paint, I get the hankering to learn airbrushing.....get rid of all that overspray..!

There is a new and expensive masking tape..FROGTAPE..that will help with the bleeding..check out their pitch, it's amazing stuff..!

Bill
Bill
HEFA #5
MAAC #13708

lawndart

Unread post by lawndart » Mon Jul 25, 2011 10:14 am

Hi Bill -- Thanks for the kind comment.

I looked for the H2O product in the yellow I wanted but had no luck. Krylon has recently come out with more colours in H2O but so far they don't seem to have made it to store shelves. I've used Krylon H2O on depron before and it worked pretty well. I found it was watery and several light coats were necessary to get an opaque finish, but there were no worries about the foam. A coat of clear acrylic prior to paint did not completely protect the foam from the Fusion paint, but sure made it more resistant. The only places I ran into trouble were where I tried to go back over areas.

Using the airbrush and craft acrylics was very frustrating, with paint seeping through my masking tape. Once the black acrylic was on the yellow there was no getting it off again. I've read somewhere that you should spray a clear or the background colour over your masking tape first to help seal the edges -- maybe that would have helped.

Dave
------d-a-v-e---------------- >}-

CF Av8or

Unread post by CF Av8or » Mon Jul 25, 2011 3:26 pm

Dave,

That is absolutely the trick to use.. Spraying a thin coat of the background colour or some clear after masking seals the joint between tape and base finish. This coat will, of course, bleed under the tape, but because its the same colour, or clear, it will be invisible.

Vic