Multiplex Mentor

Discussions related to training models.
Enforcer

Multiplex Mentor

Unread post by Enforcer » Fri Oct 09, 2009 11:33 pm

I have completed this build and will bring it to the field this Sunday (weather permitting) for it's maiden. This is my first kit build from scratch. I hope it sees lots of flight time and no accident time!! :D It is quite a large plane with a very attractive look IMHO. Please give me your opinions when you see it.

After I get it trimmed and tested, I would like to give the tow line hookup a go. If anyone has a glider they would like air lifted, just let me know!
Murray Wheten

“My philosophy, like color television, is all there in black and white”
Monty Python

astroflyer

Re: Multiplex Mentor

Unread post by astroflyer » Sat Oct 10, 2009 8:45 am

that's one beautiful airplane Murray.

Mike Miller has one on floats and it's one of the best float planes I've ever seen or flown. extremely tough.

he's using it as a camera plane and the tow hook to drop rolls of toilet paper from way up in the heavens. you have to see that to appreciate it. :lol:

MY son Jon was flying it recently and misjudged a tree location. the plane slammed into a big spruce with a horrendous thump. everyone reacted. it just kept coming, chewing its way through the branches and flew on. Jon, thinking there might be some flight preventing damage landed on the water immediatly. NO DAMAGE! NONE!

great with the turnigy 42-50 700 KV and 5 cell 5000 lipo. 14/8 prop. Note I said 14/8. I wouldn't have believed that motor could carry that prop. So impressive I got a 14/8.5 for the same motor in my lawndart. ZOOM ZOOM!

highly recommend this motor for up to 6-7 pounds. a real sleeper highly under rated.

lawndart

Unread post by lawndart » Sat Oct 10, 2009 9:10 am

I might bring my new glider Murray. We can maiden both planes together! First I'll have to figure out a tow-hook though...

Dave
------d-a-v-e---------------- >}-

retiredVTT

Unread post by retiredVTT » Sat Oct 10, 2009 12:11 pm

Could be a very interesting Sunday and Monday..!

Lots of new and different models..!
Bring the cameras..!

Bill
Bill
HEFA #5
MAAC #13708

Enforcer

Unread post by Enforcer » Sat Oct 10, 2009 9:52 pm

astroflyer wrote:that's one beautiful airplane Murray.

Mike Miller has one on floats and it's one of the best float planes I've ever seen or flown. extremely tough.

he's using it as a camera plane and the tow hook to drop rolls of toilet paper from way up in the heavens. you have to see that to appreciate it. :lol:

MY son Jon was flying it recently and misjudged a tree location. the plane slammed into a big spruce with a horrendous thump. everyone reacted. it just kept coming, chewing its way through the branches and flew on. Jon, thinking there might be some flight preventing damage landed on the water immediatly. NO DAMAGE! NONE!

great with the turnigy 42-50 700 KV and 5 cell 5000 lipo. 14/8 prop. Note I said 14/8. I wouldn't have believed that motor could carry that prop. So impressive I got a 14/8.5 for the same motor in my lawndart. ZOOM ZOOM!

highly recommend this motor for up to 6-7 pounds. a real sleeper highly under rated.
I'm glad to hear first hand how tough this plane is and how much you like it Al. I used the best motor I had on hand for this plane which is a Turnigy 35-42C 1100 kv (eg: 2820 - good for planes weighing 31~81oz), with a Turningy 60A ESC, and an 11x5.5 prop. I think an 11x8 might have been a better prop choice, but, I'm still learning. The setup I'm using produces 433 Watts at 40.5 Amps. My Mentor with 3S 5000 mAh battery weighs in at 67 oz.

I will have to take a look at the 42-50 you mentioned. It must SCREAM with a 5S and a 14x8 prop!!!!
Murray Wheten

Monty Python

Enforcer

Unread post by Enforcer » Sat Oct 10, 2009 9:54 pm

lawndart wrote:I might bring my new glider Murray. We can maiden both planes together! First I'll have to figure out a tow-hook though...

Dave
Hey Dave! Sounds good brother. I'll have to fly it a few times before attempting a tow though... for obvious reasons! :D
Murray Wheten

Monty Python

Enforcer

Unread post by Enforcer » Sat Oct 10, 2009 9:57 pm

retiredVTT wrote:
Bring the cameras..!

Bill
Great idea Bill! I think I will blow the dust off my old 8mm... it's old but a lot easier to focus on a subject due to it's included viewfinder!
Murray Wheten

Monty Python

JohnOSullivan

Unread post by JohnOSullivan » Sat Oct 10, 2009 10:22 pm

I've been using the Turnigy 35-48C(800kV) (AXI 2826 equiv)in my Pike 100" sailplane (also used theAXI). I found very little difference (if any) in performance.
Also used the Turnigy in the 72" Telemaster and it suits it well.
The 35-42 should do well in the Mentor but will not be overpowered. If you are lacking in power, the 35-48C is only $14.95 andI can highly recommend it.

As for aerial towing, I've done a bit of it, from the sailplane end. We used to do it at The Shearwater Show years ago. We used 1/4 scale tugs for 100" sailplanes. We used about 80-100ft nylon cable with around 5 metres of bungee chord as a shock absorber.
The attachment point on the glider is at the front of the nose and a simple release can be made.
One thing of prime importance is for the tug pilot to make ONLY wide (100m radius) turns. Otherwise the line will slacken and the sailplane will tend to catch up and will not be able to follow and a jerky taking up of slack line will occur. The sailplane should be kept well above the altitude of the tug.

John
John
MAAC #5401 L
MACI (Ireland) IRL#26

Enforcer

Unread post by Enforcer » Sun Oct 11, 2009 12:01 am

Thanks John!

I was pretty sure there would be a number of things to consider. Probably better suited for a bigger, wide open area than found at SP. I wonder if I could drop a few "bog rolls" instead, while you take aerial photos of the event! :lol:
Murray Wheten

Monty Python

Enforcer

Unread post by Enforcer » Tue Oct 13, 2009 9:09 pm

On Satruday evening, I had worked on resolving the "buzzing" sound the Mentor was making at the field. I am pretty sure it is coming from vibrations between the motor mount and the motor mount plate. While performing a test, the prop shaft snapped at the spot where it leaves the motor. That spot has a slight grove on it that accepts a small clip. Anyway, since I had two of these motors, I swapped in the second one and did a quick test using "the same" prop (APC 11x5.5). I could not believe my eyes when I viewed what my "Watts-Up" meter had registered... 750 Watts, 74.5 Amps. This was a jump from 440 Watts, 43 Amps from the first motor.

Obviously, these motors are not the same... even though they are labeled as such! I hate it when things like this happen. Very frustrating!
Murray Wheten

Monty Python