Apprentice Design Modifications Thread

Discussions related to training models.
Dennis

Re: Apprentice Design Modifications Thread

Unread post by Dennis » Fri Sep 16, 2016 2:08 pm

JohnOSullivan wrote:Dennis:
i have a bit of a question about your coupling of the brass collars on the rod to the nosewheel steering and how it operates.
It seems a bit of an overcomplication. As one who is too stupid to invent complex systems, I use the simplest mechanisms possible.
Could you explain the purpose of the collars and what they do?
I want all of the cabin components to pop out of the plane as one cradle module. The servos, receiver, etc are mounted on the cradle along with other specialized payloads. Nothing is glued down - everything is fastened to the cradle. This means that each module I put into the plane will have electrical connectors for the on/off switch and motor, and mechanical connectors for the pushrods. My Apprentice now becomes an experimental aircraft that can perform specific tasks depending on the module it carries.

For example, I am building an infrared detection module that will detect heat sources (whales, forest mammals, people, other man-made heat sources, etc) when the plane flies over an area of interest. The applications include, surveillance (commercial and military), fire detection, police activities, marine mammal detection, and others.

Change the module in the field, and within minutes the Apprentice becomes an airborne photo and video platform. I have a business interest in developing the modules.
Physicist, musician, field naturalist.
MAAC #92617

Dennis

Unread post by Dennis » Fri Sep 16, 2016 2:14 pm

Another module that I am currently building includes a circuit board, independent battery, and LEDs that light up the entire engine cowling whenever the prop is turning. I am building the circuit board today and have ordered two new servos for this module.
MAAC #92617

JohnOSullivan

Unread post by JohnOSullivan » Fri Sep 16, 2016 4:12 pm

still does not explain how exactly the collars work and what exactly they do.
John
MAAC #5401 L
MACI (Ireland) IRL#26

Dennis

Unread post by Dennis » Fri Sep 16, 2016 4:23 pm

JohnOSullivan wrote:still does not explain how exactly the collars work and what exactly they do.
Three turns of an Allen key and everything comes out of the cabin - everything! Takes less than 10 seconds.
MAAC #92617

JohnOSullivan

Unread post by JohnOSullivan » Fri Sep 16, 2016 4:33 pm

As an engineer to a Physicist, How do you disconnect Rudder, steering, elevator, throttle, flaps with just one allen key collar?
Diagram please.
John
MAAC #5401 L
MACI (Ireland) IRL#26

JohnOSullivan

Unread post by JohnOSullivan » Fri Sep 16, 2016 4:38 pm

It would seem more practical to maintain one coherent function control system throughout and make the other sensor modules replaceable as needed.
John
MAAC #5401 L
MACI (Ireland) IRL#26

Dennis

Unread post by Dennis » Fri Sep 16, 2016 4:46 pm

JohnOSullivan wrote:It would seem more practical to maintain one coherent function control system throughout and make the other sensor modules replaceable as needed.
You'll have to wait and see! Dennis
MAAC #92617

Dennis

Unread post by Dennis » Sat Sep 17, 2016 5:40 am

the-mailman wrote:If you rough up the collars to remove the chrome plating you should be able to solder them together since they are brass. I don't think I'd trust CA on metal to be vibration proof.
Soldering works well and is easy to do. Both brass collar pieces heat nicely and melt the solder. So I can use two collars to make one set screw shaft coupler. It is installed on the nose wheel pushrod which comes apart with one turn of an Allen key. Today I'll make two more couplers for the rudder and elevator pushrods, hence, three turns of an Allen key disconnects all three pushrods in a few seconds. This is what I call fun.
MAAC #92617

Dennis

Unread post by Dennis » Sat Sep 17, 2016 6:55 pm

Three couplers installed and operational. Each coupler uncouples with one turn of an Allen key. A total of 6 grams has been added to the airplane.
MAAC #92617

Dennis

Unread post by Dennis » Sat Sep 17, 2016 7:05 pm

Tonight I am working on various acoustic circuits to detect prop noise and subsequently light up the cowling from inside. My goal is to minimize the overall weight of the circuit. High intensity white LEDs will eventually be attached to the firewall, and the circuit board, battery, and switch (possibly using Aux 2 on the receiver) will be installed in the cabin.
MAAC #92617