Apprentice Hard Landing Tests

Discussions related to training models.
Dennis

Apprentice Hard Landing Tests

Unread post by Dennis » Mon Aug 08, 2016 1:31 pm

Carried out several deliberate hard landing tests with my Apprentice aircraft and found the front end of the plane to be wanting in strength. The glue joints for the motor support and the plastic cowl band need to be reinforced without added weight or significant changes to the plane's mass distribution. Purchased several spare parts to make experimental modifications to the front end 'cause that's what physicists do for fun. Will provide updates as the work progresses.
Physicist, musician, field naturalist.
MAAC #92617

Dennis

Re: Apprentice Hard Landing Tests

Unread post by Dennis » Mon Aug 08, 2016 7:49 pm

Going to modify the firewall-fuselage interface using nylon components like modified tie-wraps, threaded rods, washers, and liners (to prevent the styrofoam from wear along drilled reinforcement channels. Materials removed and added will be weighed and adjustments made as needed.
MAAC #92617

bdg

Unread post by bdg » Tue Aug 09, 2016 7:45 pm

Wow. Those must have been incredibly tough landings. Combined with students, I would guess that I have enjoyed hundreds of landings or touch and goes. Never experienced anything like you are describing.

The key here is to feather the plane into the runway and not to overdesign / redesign a system that is proven and reliable as-is. Avoid the hard landings and everything will be more than fine with the Apprentice. :P

Just my thoughts.

Brian

Dennis

Unread post by Dennis » Wed Aug 10, 2016 7:05 am

My application for this plane is to use it at sea from platforms that are moving. Besides mechanical improvements, it will need to be waterproofed, made salt-resistant, and have longer endurance. Various sensors will be installed for scientific research purposes.
MAAC #92617

Dennis

Unread post by Dennis » Wed Aug 10, 2016 7:18 am

I have purchased property on the Bay of Fundy, near the entrance to Minas Basin, west of the Force tidal turbine site. We'll be building an off-grid home there where I will focus on marine mammal monitoring using quiet airplane technologies (currently drones are too noisy and intrusive). This is the primary reason for my purchase of an inexpensive Apprentice to begin my research.
MAAC #92617

steve

Unread post by steve » Wed Aug 10, 2016 4:24 pm

Dennis wrote:My application for this plane is to use it at sea from platforms that are moving. Besides mechanical improvements, it will need to be waterproofed, made salt-resistant, and have longer endurance. Various sensors will be installed for scientific research purposes.
Im skeptical but interested to hear how your project progresses with an Apprentice as the research plane. This hobby can be humbling even with the best flying/landing conditions. I like the idea of a moving platform at sea. Thats ""knarly" man. You know the rc motto......takeoffs are optional but landings ( on your platform) will be absolutely mandatory. :)

Steve
Steve

Dennis

Unread post by Dennis » Wed Aug 10, 2016 6:11 pm

Going to put a reverse thruster on this plane for very short landings Steve. I intend to apply for research grants eventually so the work has to be groundbreaking (no pun intended)!
MAAC #92617

JohnOSullivan

Unread post by JohnOSullivan » Wed Aug 10, 2016 6:35 pm

By accepting a grant you would fall into a commercial category and would require Transport Canada certification.
Good luck with your project.
John
MAAC #5401 L
MACI (Ireland) IRL#26

Dennis

Unread post by Dennis » Wed Aug 10, 2016 6:51 pm

JohnOSullivan wrote:By accepting a grant you would fall into a commercial category and would require Transport Canada certification.
Good luck with your project.
That is the plan John. Incidentally, after observing your free flight planes at Shearwater, I ordered two free flight rubber band planes from Hobby King because I have some ideas on reverse thrusters.
MAAC #92617

Dennis

Unread post by Dennis » Thu Aug 11, 2016 2:42 pm

Acquired all the nylon components to reinforce the firewall on the Apprentice from K2 Corrosion Fasteners in Burnside this morning.
MAAC #92617