Instructor or Examiner Certification/Qualification

Discussions related to training models.
Coyote

Instructor or Examiner Certification/Qualification

Unread post by Coyote » Sun Jun 19, 2011 12:57 pm

Is there such a thing as an Instructor Certification that a pilot must have before training students?

Reason I am asking is that I'm looking at potentially becoming an instructor but am not sure of the HEFA requirements. I believe others are also looking to potentially act as instructors

According to MAAC, who provides us with our insurance there is a MINIMUM flying skill requirement for intructors to achieve before instructing

http://www.maac.ca/docs/2006/doc_flight ... uide_e.pdf

This outlines requirements for students, Solo requirements and Instructor/Examiner requirements.

1) Does HEFA follows this standard set by MAAC? If not, is there an liability wrt MAAC insurance?

2) Would MAAC be satisfied with development of our own training program based on small field we have?

Further to this, the MAAC Wing's program ( http://www.maac.ca/docs/2006/doc_wings_program_e.pdf ) states

The Wings program outlines four level of pilot proficiency

The following is a list of levels and flyer status:
· "A" - Basic control
· "B" - Intermediate
· "C" - Intermediate advanced
· "D" - Advanced

GENERAL RULES AND CONDITIONS
1 Qualified instructors of the club will be appointed as examiners for the purpose of granting (PURPOSE OF THE Program) Wings. All other members wishing to participate
in the judging are welcome and are encouraged to qualify. [Coyote editorial - not quite sure whay that's there - concensus?]

2 To qualify as a Official "Examiner", the member must attain their "C" level Wings which is

"C" LEVEL INTERMEDIATE ADVANCED
Candidate must demonstrate on two successive attempts (Coyote editorial - left and right handed pattern?) during the examination period
his ability to:
1 Take off.
2 Stall turn.
3 Two consecutive horizontal turns.
4 Immelman Turn.
5 Cuban 8.
6 Straight inverted flight.
7 One outside loop.
8 Landing.

UNQUOTE

Goes back to my question - what are requirements and if we do not meet MAAC requirements, is there a liability since we do not have a formal program in place?

Insurance company could chew us out and reject claim in a heartbeat if we don't have training paperwork to back it up.

Thoughts??

Enquiring minds want to know :mrgreen:
-----------------------------------------------------
Marc "Coyote" Cayouette
Halifax Electric Flyers Association (HEFA) # 054
MAAC #35128
DX9

Dirt Torpedo

Unread post by Dirt Torpedo » Sun Jun 19, 2011 2:35 pm

?
Last edited by Dirt Torpedo on Tue Sep 20, 2011 12:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Metalhead

Re: Instructor or Examiner Certification/Qualification

Unread post by Metalhead » Sun Jun 19, 2011 8:16 pm

Hi Marc,

I think this is a good question.

I agree with Jeff also in that the instructors we have a really great and have tons of experience, but the question of liability is a real one.

As Jeff says, being able to do a few manuvers doesn't qualify you to instruct, so maybe there should be some sort of comittee that decided this?

The other thing is that maybe we could splurge and get the instructors a hat or something so people know who is who in the zoo?

Brian

RocketManRC

Unread post by RocketManRC » Sun Jun 19, 2011 9:02 pm

I am saying this without checking (disclaimer!), but I believe that the Directors of the registered association with MAAC are entitled to appoint instructors and to setup their own Wings program. I will check on that to make sure and report back :-)

But with all the new people interested in learning how to fly now I think that the most important criteria for instructors at HEFA are availability and willingness to give up your own flying time. So as far as I am concerned Marc you are signed up already!!!

Rick
Rick MacDonald
May you live in interesting times!

Coyote

Unread post by Coyote » Sun Jun 19, 2011 9:41 pm

LOL! Tks for the endorsement Rick.

I fully agree w Brian and Jeff (and many others) that the instructors we have are outstanding - I know of no one that would disagree with that statement :)

I just looking for some clarity in process and it's not a bad refresher for everyone else thinking of becoming an instructor.

PS: I also agree that a HEFA or MAAC Instructor ball cap would help ID intructors to newcomers.
-----------------------------------------------------
Marc "Coyote" Cayouette
Halifax Electric Flyers Association (HEFA) # 054
MAAC #35128
DX9

astroflyer

Unread post by astroflyer » Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:53 am

Over the many years I’ve been in the hobby it’s been as rick has said. The club appoints instructors who are qualified. The maac document referenced above is, as in many things maac, a guideline.

I’ve seen instructors who were skilled flyers who would not be able to do some of the things in that document simply because they have never owned a plane that could do those manoeuvres. A square loop for instance.

A good instructor is someone who as rick said is willing (and it can be demanding) who can fly (without spectacular crashes every other day), who can quickly grab and save an out of control airplane (because that’s what happens in the early stages with a student) , and most importantly someone who can communicate with a student, particularly young students. Personality is as important as flying skills.

Hefa has such people instructing already and I’m sure a number of others just waiting in the wings. Don't be afraid to step up to the plate. I'm sure the current instructors would welcome the help.

RocketManRC

Unread post by RocketManRC » Mon Jun 20, 2011 5:29 pm

Thanks for that Al!

I am glad you started this thread Marc because at the last Directors meeting I volunteered to help to better organize the instructing of new pilots. It would be nice if we had 6 instructors total and therefore could have two at a time "on duty" on Saturday and Sunday mornings. That would spread things out a bit and deal with people going on vacation, etc.

At the moment we have the two Marcs (Coyote and Yorcram) and me so we need three more volunteers! Anyone interested should email me or send a PM and I will start an email discussion on the topic.

I should mention that we have two systems available for training. My Super Cub with wireless buddy box is available most of the time and HEFA has a Super Cub RTF version.

Rick
Rick MacDonald

Dirt Torpedo

Unread post by Dirt Torpedo » Mon Jun 20, 2011 5:40 pm

?
Last edited by Dirt Torpedo on Tue Sep 20, 2011 12:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

karlpenney

Unread post by karlpenney » Mon Jun 20, 2011 5:54 pm

I am available to help out since I also have a Super Cub that can be buddy boxed. Mine is a wired system though.

I would suggest that we might look into setting up the HEFA Super Cub with a buddy box system. I don't think it is that useful without one. This would require replacement of the radio gear. But, it could be done for a reasonably low cost from Hobby King.

RocketManRC

Unread post by RocketManRC » Mon Jun 20, 2011 6:55 pm

That's great Karl!

I like the fact that you can get the Super Cub now with the DX4e which will connect to most of our radios with a cable (except for us Futaba users). Maybe HEFA should upgrade to that version of the Super Cub...
Rick MacDonald