Instructor for Plane check and Solo?

Discussions related to training models.
Canuck4ever

Instructor for Plane check and Solo?

Unread post by Canuck4ever » Sun Sep 05, 2010 4:27 pm

Hi guys - signed up to MAAC but membership not effective till 15 Sep (new policy I gather versus previous 1 Sep date). Still awaiting my MAAC number and card.

Putting lots of time flying planes and helos on Realflight and Phoenix RC sims. Planes skills are pretty well back according to sims - just waiting for my Multiplex Fun Cub to come in (end-month?).

I gather I'll need an instructor to examine my plane prior to maiden flight. While I have previously built several nitro planes from kits, this is my first electric plane. Also - since the last time I flew was 2002, I'd like to get an instructor to oversee 1-2 flights before my first flight/solo (not quite sure what training program you have avail for the club). Not before end-Sep though.

Although I have been busy reading all the helo tips at the HEFA RC university and putting lots of sim time in - my simulator virtual flying fields are covered with helicopter parts and rotors. :D

I gather RC helo flying takes time and patience - thus the plane to keep my fingers nimble till next spring. I can tell you this - it would be extremely expensive without the sim 8-)
Marc "Coyote" Cayouette
----------------------------------------

Remember.....if it fits back in the box you bought it in - it likely won't fly again!

Enforcer

Re: Instructor for Plane check and Solo?

Unread post by Enforcer » Sun Sep 05, 2010 4:38 pm

Hi Mark!

When I pay via the MAAC site, using my credit card, I am able to download a copy of my card by creating an account.

Just bring "yourself" to the field and you can use one of the club trainers to start with. No need to wait brother! The weather is best early in the morning... tomorrow morning is looking good.

Murray
Murray Wheten

“My philosophy, like color television, is all there in black and white”
Monty Python

Canuck4ever

Unread post by Canuck4ever » Sun Sep 05, 2010 5:01 pm

Tks Murray - I promised the family I'd cook breakfast/brunch for them Monday morning - it's not often we're all off together (older daughters). Also, my MAAC is not in effect till 15 Sep.

That said, I would like to use club trainers if avail when MAAC in effect. Does trainer come with Radio TX or do we need to gear/receiver up the plane based on my TX?

Currently I have an older Futaba FP-T7UAF w receiver and servos and have a newer DX6i on the way. A buddy of mine wants to start nitro and I may sell the 7UAF to help him out

Tks
Marc "Coyote" Cayouette
----------------------------------------

Remember.....if it fits back in the box you bought it in - it likely won't fly again!

Enforcer

Unread post by Enforcer » Sun Sep 05, 2010 6:19 pm

There is a "buddy" box setup as well as a simple 27 mhz setup. The Parkzone SuperCubs we use are VERY easy to fly, so, with your previous experience, it won't matter much which one you use.

Murray
Murray Wheten

“My philosophy, like color television, is all there in black and white”
Monty Python

Dirt Torpedo

Unread post by Dirt Torpedo » Sun Sep 05, 2010 8:26 pm

Canuck4ever wrote:...Although I have been busy reading all the helo tips at the HEFA RC university and putting lots of sim time in - my simulator virtual flying fields are covered with helicopter parts and rotors. :D...
I'm not sure what's in HEFA U about helis but the RADD program is a good step in towards getting airborne. It establishes some important corrections in your mind, in particular, the positive tendency that a heli has to drift in response to the lateral thrust from the tail rotor. You briefly need some training gear for the RADD program, and it is best done on a polished concrete or otherwise smooth slab. I did it in a large garage.

RADD -- http://www.dream-models.com/eco/index.html